14th Highpoint Bagged

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 12, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

After a great snow year, we figured that the snow should be off the trail, and allowing us easy access to my 14th Utah County Highpoints. Eager to get some altitude, we headed out to the 11,031' Deseret peak on a saturday morning.

Driving up the canyon to the Loop Campground, there are some fascinating narrows. Already, our enjoyment of the scenery has started, and we aren't even out of the vehicle yet!

The Narrows


When we arrived at the trailhead parking lot at 7:00 am, it was nearly already full. We figured it must be mostly campers that are still snug in their bags, missing the best part of the day.

Starting the trail


I was amazed hiking up the trail on how lush it was. It was nearly overgrown with the flora, and the smells of the wilderness enveloped me, as we made our way to the stream crossing.

trail is nearly overgrown


Going up the valley, I commented on how we should have seen more animals - we had only seen one doe - there must be some hikers ahead of us. I no longer got the sentance out of my mouth when we could hear voices.

It didn't take long for us to meet up with a pair of older gentlemen making their way up to the peak. They had the rest of the group ahead of them. That may be the reason for lack of animals. After a nice visit with them, we forged along the trail, soon overtaking the rest of that party, two adults, a child, and a dog.

Up to the back of the amplitheater, the trail is easy going. We were averaging 2.5 mph. Going up to the saddle is where it starts to get a bit steep. The switchbacks gradually bring us up to the saddle, where a magnificent view plays out all around.

The valley


We hung out here for a while, taking in the view of the surrounding countryside, and marveling at the amplitheater below us. Before too long, two more hikers met up with us. The went ahead of us, we were in no real hurry and we went up the ridge shortly after them.

upward


The hike from the saddle to the peak isn't too bad, just a bit steep at first, then you pass by three coulairs before reaching the peak. There was still some snow in the saddle, and quite a bit in the chutes, but the trail was, for the most part, clear.

We sat on the peak, talked more with the two that beat us there, and ate lunch. We decided to take the loop down, and was asking if they had any more info that what we had.

We were taking pictures on the peak, and as Shphilby was taking one of me standing on my head, he knocked his GPS off his belt clip, and it clatterd down the cliff. We spent some time trying to locate it, looking through binoculars, trying to find it, and also a safe way to get down the face.

Giddy
Looking for GPS


Not being sucessful, we just sat back and welcomed the hikers that were continuing to arrive. Before long, it had become too crowded, a dozen people were on the summit, we donned our packs and headed down.

Falls


I would recommend taking the loop to anyone, you get to see more of the area, and it doesn't add too much longer to the hike.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Deseret PeakTrip Reports