77 years old lady and family, in Tajumulco.

77 years old lady and family, in Tajumulco.

Page Type Page Type: Article

Intro

Volcan TajumulcoHighest peak from Guatemala and all the Central Americans countries

Volcán Tajumulco, is the highest mountain from Guatemala and all Central Americans countries. But, at 4220 mts / 13845 ft over sea level, but in a subtropical region, snowfalls are very unusual.

In Guatemala is well known the mayan rituals in ancients cities, deep jungles, hidden caves, rivers and specially in the highest mountains and active volcanoes. Hidden in the bush, in the shore of the lakes, in the rim of the active craters, even over the lava rivers is easy to find mayan altars with flowers, crosses, candles, incense and splattered blood of animals as lambs or roosters. All part of the rituals where they pray to the spirits and gods for health, good harvests, family and thanking for all that the nature provides them.

But this ascend was different, this time they want to thank for an unusual thing. Snow on the mountains.

The next note (original in spanish) of one independent journalist who wrote about a mayan family who climb Tajumulco to celebrate an unusual christmas eve. The whole family climb Tajumulco, including the grandmother 77 years old.

Something really curious, many locals don't know about the altitude of the mountain, even they don't know that is the highest peak from all CentralAmerica, really they don't care about it.

by WUQUB Q'IJ, Guatemala december 24th, 2009

An unusuall snowfall cover the highest areas of the Volcán Tajumulco, motivating to many villagers and turist to climb the colossus mountain.

Ruperta Berdúo is 77 years old, yesterday she climbs/hike accompanied by her family. "We begun to walk at 2 am from Sibinal town, finishing at 11am. The last 5 hours I was really tired, but was a magnificent experience. I'm happy cause I never been before in a volcano to see the snow", she said.

Berdúo and her family celebrated the occasion with fireworks on the summit.

Julia Martín (68), "I had never seen snow in my life, I am so glad after climb this nice mountain"

The owner of a small shop near to the trail, Florentín Hernández (65) said that the snowfall brought good sales, cause snow calls to more people to climb the volcan, then he can sell much more products (candies, sodas, natural juice, fruits, etc)

Pictures

Volcan Tajumulco girlA little mayan girl hike/climb Tajumulco Volcano (4220 mts / 13845 ft), is curious that local people don't know that this is the highest mountain from Guatemala and all Central Americans countries. They really don't care about it, just want to enjoy the nature gifts.



Tajumulco - locals77 years old lady and her family climb Tajumulco volcano in an unusual snowfall. December 2009 by Aroldo Marroquin


Tajumulco almost locals don't know about the altitud of the mountain, even they don't know that is the highest peak from all CentralAmerica, really they don't care about it.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Apr 13, 2010 7:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Ha!

Thanks for your nice comment. You're right is really awesome.
There is people living in shanties near to the volcano at 3000 meter/10,000 feet. Is shocking to see them walking in their agriculture yield without shoes, even at winters.

This is a crazy world man.


BLong

BLong - Apr 16, 2010 11:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Christian

Christian,

Thanks for sharing this great little story. 30 months in Guatemala and I never once saw any snow. Were you able to go up Taj after the storm?

B

ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Apr 18, 2010 3:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Christian

Hi, Tajumulco was covered with snow twice in dec '09, twice in january 10 and once more in march... But the big snow was the last week of december '09...snow remained there over 3 weeks... Many people climb the volcanoe that days, almost locals.

Even the last week, Acatenango was covered with ice and snow, from Antigua and Guatemala city was simple to view part of Yepocapa and the entire highest cone totally white.

It's unusual to see snow in Guatemala as you know... snow appears in a cycles of 5 or 7 years, normally in the highest volcanoes.

Sadly, I wasn't there in this last winter, I am living in Spain since august '09. I really miss volcanoes and jungle.

BLong

BLong - Apr 18, 2010 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Christian

Espero que estes divertiendose en Espana voz!

Suerte

BLong

BLong - Apr 18, 2010 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Christian

Espero que estes divertiendose en Espana voz!

Suerte

ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Apr 20, 2010 4:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Christian

Divirtiendome en Europa??? uffff... Prefiero Centroamérica jejeje

Viewing: 1-6 of 6