8-Jan-2006: South side of...

8-Jan-2006: South side of...

8-Jan-2006: South side of Brokeoff, from about 8200' , just after dawn. I'd camped on the lee side of the ridge, and overnight there had been a few inches of new snow. Looked like only about 1000' to go, but wasn't sure about the avy hazard, so decided to just head back down.
rhyang
on Jan 8, 2006 9:56 pm
Image ID: 144621

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Dean

Dean - Jan 8, 2006 10:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Great effort

I just did this peak back in August and i can't imagine doing it in all that snow. Great effort as well as a super pic. Your decision to turn around was wise.

rhyang

rhyang - Jan 8, 2006 10:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great effort

Thanks ! I mainly just wanted to try out a new tent, so while the peak would have been a nice bonus, it was not all that important to me. The rangers I had talked to had mentioned that the avalanche hazard was probably going to go from 'considerable' to 'high', and that was certainly not a comforting thought...

Dave K - Jan 9, 2006 12:01 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great effort

This is a very nice photo, Rob!

rhyang

rhyang - Jan 9, 2006 12:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great effort

Thanks Dave ! It was a veritable winter wonderland up there :)

Dave K - Jan 10, 2006 4:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great effort

Since I often visit my girlfriend's parents in Ashland, and getting out of their house for a day is good thing to do, I see a trip to Brokeoff sometime in my future.

rhyang

rhyang - Jan 10, 2006 4:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great effort

The way up to Forest Lake was pleasant and uncrowded - I only saw 2 ski tracks the whole time, and not another soul, though I bypassed the lake itself.

Dragger

Dragger - Jan 10, 2006 7:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Reminiscent...

... of a trip I took to Lassen in December of 2003. Beatiful shot, Rob!!! We were watching the avy conditions at that time as well but the fresh snow sure made for a beautiful landscape.

rhyang

rhyang - Jan 10, 2006 7:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Reminiscent...

Thanks Carolyn ! That's the same year I was in Lassen Park last. I almost forgot how beautiful it is up there. Some more pics from the trip are here.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8