8343 - Hubbard Creek Peak

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.97102°N / 107.52079°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 25, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Another Delta County Ranked Peak - DONE.


UN 8343 - "Hubbard Creek Peak".

8343
Elevation : 8,343'
CO Peaks Rank : 3421
Counties : Delta
Quad : Bowie
Coords : 38.9801°N, 107.5178°W
Rise : 363'

Partner-in-Bashing: Greg Hakes

So this peak has been on my "to-do" list for quite a while, but we kept putting it off, hoping to discover an easier access or a shorter hike. Alas, on our recon on Thursday, we found locked gates (public road, but the coal mine owns/leases both sides of the road), and settled on the one good access we found, Hubbard Creek. On maps, it is shown as a road going through to the north side of this little narrow valley. Maybe a long time ago, it did. Since then, it has collapsed. Mudslides, too frequent to count, have collapsed the road to the point that it is navigable only on foot. Nice stretches of the road still exist, but it is exclusively a footpath (also not advisable for horses, pack animals, or bikes).


Historical marker - heading up Hubbard CreekHubbard Creek - a historical route.



The end of the road is blocked by large boulders, and the single track starts there. Of interest, this drainage was the ascent route of the Escalante/Dominguez party back in 1776 when they were going up on top of the Grand Mesa to meet with the Utes and hopefully secure another guide to get to California.


RouteThe route - about 9 miles, 2500' gain.



When you start up the trail, the peak and its sidehills dominate your view.


Looking up at 8343Looking up at the mess.



It is not encouraging. I know another person ascended one of these ridges by the Blue Ribbon Mine and descended a different ridge. The scrub oak, while gorgeous in the fall, is a formidable foe. We decided to ascend up to meet up with Lone Pine Creek and ascend that "road" to the gentle NNW shoulder of 8343. The hike in is rather pleasant, actually. Nice scenery, and since the road is no longer in use, it is extremely isolated. The footprints of literally hundreds of deer and elk have made the path rather pleasant for walking.


Hiking inHiking up what's left of the road.



When we got to the other "road", we found ... nothing. There is nothing left at all, except steep sides and erosion. Well, here we go. Thankfully, the creek is low - not sure it would be a fun crossing with high water.


Crossing Hubbard Creek Looks like a good enough spot to cross.









We busted up and through the oak and aspen and wild rose and whatever else, up steep, frozen slopes. No falling. This part wasn't particularly pleasant.


Sidehill traverseProbably the least miserable part of the ascent.



Above that, we followed game trails as much as we could, and sometimes, they even went along the ridge in a nice area.








Heavily guarded.Thick brush.



8343 guardedGetting closer, still guarded by brush.



The forest opens up some, or at least it shortens so you can see the summit area and look around to the surrounding peaks, some in Delta and some in Gunnison counties.


View of Iron Point from 8343Good view of Iron Point. Another "road" goes near the top of that, too.



After some more desperate bashing, the summit snuck up on us. At least 6 elk had made beds there in the last few nights.


Summit.   Snore...The mighty summit. Hard earned, though.



Dad on the summit  block Dad on the summit block.



From the summit, we followed our line back to the steep gully we had eyed on the way up. Deciding it couldn't be much worse than what we had already done, we descended, hoping for the best.


First cliff bandFirst cliff band.



Things never really got "interesting", but a few branches won the battle - one went up my nose and punctured my sinus, two went in my ear and scratched me pretty good, and Dad had a few scratches on his face. Almost worth wearing a balaclava!


Next cliff bandSecond cliff band.







The rock is total junk, and deteriorates easily in your hands. It is not good nor safe for scrambling or climbing. Animals, including bats and bushy-tailed wood rats, make their living in the pock-marked surfaces of the cliffs. We also found some evidence of scavenging, most likely by a bear. Several times we crossed parts of elk and deer that had been scavenged in the area, and we saw quite a bit of bear scat, both from rose hips from the plentiful wild roses and from gambel oak acorns (high in fats). Sooner than we thought, we plopped out back on the trail.


ExitExit gully. Almost pleasant!



From there, it was a pleasant mile back to the truck, and another one down. Only 4 ranked Delta county peaks to go, but I plan on getting several more of the USGS named ones as well.


Hiking outAnd out.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Dec 3, 2011 10:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Punctured sinuses?

WTF, Hakes?!?!?!

"...branches won the battle - one went up my nose and punctured my sinus, two went in my ear..."

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Dec 3, 2011 10:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Punctured sinuses?

Yeah, sounds awesome, huh?

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.