A Central Muddy's Ramble n' Scramble

A Central Muddy's Ramble n' Scramble

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 2, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter

The Approach

Having kept an eye on the forecast for 40% chance of rain, I awoke this morning to pleasantly clear skies. Very nice. after getting jr. ready for school I headed off to Lake Mead NRA to follow up on a hike made the week before. I had hiked washes and benches below the central Muddy's east flanks, crossing in and out, and up a fun canyon to gain a ridge and 2 very fun and scenic high points overlooking Buffington Pockets. this time out I wanted to start high and stay there, traversing the entire ridge to the head of a wide wash further north of the last outing. Making it thru traffic and enjoying the always fantastic Northshore Road, I again turned onto the Bitter Springs Backcountry Byway just west of Redstone. Always a fantastic drive as well ! Not a very difficult road, but high clearance definitely needed to traverse. Two hours after leaving home I reached my TH at the foot of the central Muddy Mountains south flanks. Still nice and clear but getting partly cloudy. Some nice dappled light, my favorite.

Bitter RidgeWestern Muddys over Bitter Ridge from the Bitter Springs Scenic Backcountry Byway

The Meat

Armed w/ polska kielbasa for lunch, a gallon of water, and my much abused camera, I started the climb to gain the ridge.

On the way upGoing up


Spring is in the air in the Mojave. Its not here yet, but I can feel it right around the corner. I can't wait ! Once I gained the ridge it was rugged walking, sometimes having to drop to one side or the other, sometimes having to backtrack 50' or so after cliffing out. Sometimes straddling the knife edge ridge, usually when the drop off was only a few feet. I'm scared of heights.

The Broken RidgeBroken Ridge


After a bit points 1355 and 1315 offered some nice flat ground for a bit, as well as some nice views. then it was time to drop down below the ridge line to traverse over to point 1348 and an unnamed spire before that w/ some fun scrambling required to gain the small, flat summit w/ a really nice view of Buffington pockets.

Point 1348 right and an Unnamed Spire middlePoint 1348 right and the unnamed spire middle


Buffington PocketsBuffington Pockets from unnamed spire


Pt 1348Point 1348 from unnamed spire


It became increasingly cloudy until my beautiful dappled light became bland overcast dullness. Bore-ing ! But the hike was still cool, just the photos suffered, not my enjoyment or the beauty of the moment.

Fossils ?Fossils ?


Losing ElevationLooking east


Hitting all the ridges high points along the way I eventually came to my drop off into a broad wash after the ridge began losing considerable elevation. Then it was a pleasant stroll back to the Tracker where my knees thanked me very much for the respite.

full photos if your interested - Central Muddys Ridge Walk


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
cp0915

cp0915 - Mar 4, 2009 10:06 am - Voted 10/10

Obscurity

Awesome, Jason. Nice outing!

goofball

goofball - Mar 4, 2009 2:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Obscurity

thanks, i told you it was pretty cool ! something about the muddy mountains, especially these central and eastern muddys, just fascinates me and i can go again and again to see something new every time.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Muddy MountainsTrip Reports