Viewing: 1-5 of 5
supermarmot

supermarmot - Aug 3, 2006 7:41 am - Voted 10/10

kerouac had it good!

i wondered what the views were from there... thanks for posting! have you got a picture of the lookout, or should i go up there and see it for myself?

cheers,
david

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 3, 2006 5:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Kerouac died too young!

Jack had it so good he couldn't hack the fame (or so that was my take on him after reading "Poets on the Peaks" recently).

There is a shot of the lookout on the main Desolation page. I didn't take a shot of it. It looked like your standard lookout to me.

supermarmot

supermarmot - Aug 3, 2006 11:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Kerouac died too young!

i've been meaning to read that one...maybe you can help: are kerouac's parts in that book just excerpts from "desolation angels"? if so, would you say the rest of "poets" is worth reading? (this is my college-kid budget speaking as i decide which one to buy)

thanks

p.s. his descent into alcoholism and madness was certainly well chronicled in "Big Sur"

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 4, 2006 4:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Kerouac died too young!

I actually thought the sections dealing with Gary Snyder and Philip Wahlin were better than the Kerouac part, probably because the author could speak with the still-living Gary and Philip so those sections were longer, more detailed.

The book does not really do excerpts from "Desolation Angels" other than maybe a quote here or there. It's more a limited biography of Kerouac.

All in all I thought the book was a good read. Not excellent, but informative. You can probably check it out from a library.

supermarmot

supermarmot - Aug 6, 2006 12:48 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Kerouac died too young!

thanks very much for the info! i think the library idea will be a good bet.

-david

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'A DeSOLation Sensation' main page