Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.56888°N / 105.83695°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 28, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Landslide Peak, 13238', unranked
Geneva Peak, 13266'
Sullivan Mountain, 13134', unranked
Santa Fe Peak, 13180'
Silver Mountain, 12849', unranked
Revenue Mountain, 12889'
Decatur Mountain, 12890'
TH:10500' on FR119(4.7mi from Guanella Pass Rd)
9mi/4800'/6hr 50min

10282'
TH:9900' on FR119(1.0mi from Guanella Pass Rd)
0.8mi/400'/45min

more photos

The Geneva groupThe Geneva group from Decatur.


From Grant, I drove 6.9 miles up the Guanella Pass Rd, then turned left onto FR119. High clearance is needed after about 2 miles - I continued to mile 4.7 and parked.

Started hiking to the south at 5:25am. After descending 20 feet I reached a raging Geneva Creek and found a log to walk across. Bushwhacking was minimal and soon I was ascending grassy slopes up to the ridge leading to Landslide Pk. It took about an hour to reach the ridge and another hour to reach the top of Landslide, at 7:25am. The area has largely melted out, and I didn't regret leaving my axe and gaiters in the car.

Saw many wildflowers and some wildlife, including a deer, a ptarmigan, and a few goats including a baby. The traverse around the cirque is straightforward - Geneva has the roughest terrain, but the divide trail helps bypass any difficult portions. I reached Geneva at 7:55am, Sullivan at 8:20am, and Santa Fe at 8:50am.

The 12ers are a little farther away, and I found a 1998 Mike Garratt register atop Silver at 9:45am. I added my name below Aaron and Ellen Johnson and headed off. Again the traverse was straightforward to Revenue at 10:15am and Decatur at 10:55am. The Revenue-Decatur saddle still holds a large cornice, so I came down Decatur's slopes towards Jackwhacker Gulch. The second half of the descent was the most tedious part of the day - a mixed bag of willows, talus, marsh and forest bushwhack. It would have been discouraging to try to ascend this. Brute force won out eventually, and I was deposited onto FR 119 just a few minutes from the car, returning at 12:15pm.

On the way out, I stopped a mile from Guanella Pass Rd to pick up 10282'. The main challenge here was crossing Geneva Creek. On the ascent, I got a short running start and barely landed out of the water. An easy forest ascent led me to the summit, where I found another Garratt register. On the return, I just waded across the creek, knowing my Teva's awaited.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Geneva PeakTrip Reports
 
Santa Fe PeakTrip Reports