A pair of white-tailed ptarmigans

A pair of white-tailed ptarmigans

A pair of white-tailed ptarmigans on the shore of Conness Lake 10,543. There is a flock of about 10 living in this area which we have been fortunate enough to see now a couple of times; this time they let me get right up to them. Their plumage was in the process of turning white for the winter. (Oct 10). Another shot of the same pair.
Felsberg
on Nov 4, 2004 6:15 pm
Image ID: 76755

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
brenta

brenta - Nov 4, 2004 7:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Molting

Nice shot! In the Rockies, at about the same elevation, white-tailed ptarmigans where at this stage of molting about a month ago. Lower down, however, they still had their summer plumage. Does anybody know what triggers the change? Temperature? Snow cover?

Felsberg

Felsberg - Nov 5, 2004 1:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Molting

Thanks for the comment, I dont know why they molt when they do, I whish I knew. This website has some more gneral info, but no answer to your question.

livioz

livioz - Nov 17, 2004 3:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Molting

In the Department I have an expert colleague , as Gangolf knows ;-))....

I asked him and he answered that the molting is triggered by the daylight hours. But it doesn't justify what Brenta observed...



By the way, fine picture indeed. I'm glad it's back in the quality rank!

Misha

Misha - Nov 4, 2004 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Old friends

Oh my dear friends.. its so nice to see you again. Here is the shot of you that I took last year on the way to the NR ridge of Conness.



Nice photo, Jeff!

Mblue01

Mblue01 - Aug 6, 2006 1:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Perfect...

....photo for my 'Birds in the mountains'-album!

Afzal

Afzal - Nov 9, 2007 1:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful!

I can say nothing but beautiful. Very nice photo.

EricChu

EricChu - Dec 2, 2009 6:48 am - Voted 10/10

Great!

Excellent capture!

Viewing: 1-7 of 7