A trip to Mt. Damavand

A trip to Mt. Damavand

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 35.94243°N / 52.11016°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 18, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Add Heading Here

In this trip report I have tried to give you as much information as possible in case you want to summit Damavand through the south route. Unfortunately, my camera broke, and I had to take all the pictures by my cell phone.

In my recent trip to Iran I decided to summit Mt. Damavand. July and August are the most popular months to climb Damavand through different routes. During this period of time the mountain is very crowded specially in the weekends. On Monday (August, 17) afternoon I traveled to the village of Polour, a beautiful village on the foot of Mt. Damavand about 60Km to the NE of Tehran. When I got there, I went to the office of MSFI (Mountaineering & Sport climbing Federation of Iran) which is the base camp for the south route. Many years ago they constructed a road from base camp (camp1) to camp2. Therefore, you don’t have to do any hiking to get to camp2. You can just ask for a ride to get there!!! It is very unfortunate that they ruin the nature to make some money. There are a couple of SUVs and some old pickup trucks that you can hire to get to camp2. The fare per car is 80,000 toman (about $25). If you are by yourself and nobody else is there, you have to pay the whole money yourself. If there are more people, you can share the fare.

The road from camp1 to camp2 is 9-10km long, and about 7Km of it is dirt road. At the entrance to the dirt road they charge each Iranian 15000 toman (less than $5) and each foreigner $50.

Camp2 is called Goosfand-sara (a place for sheep grazing). There is a mosque there which can be used as a shelter in case you need to. Some people call camp2 the base camp. Here is a view from camp2.

The south face
View from camp2

I started my hike from camp2, and it took me about 2 hours and 45 minutes to get to camp3. The main shelter in camp3 is called Bargah-e sevvom, a nice place at the elevation of 4260m (according to my GPS altimeter). Although in the entire route from camp2 to camp3 I only saw a couple of people, there were more that 100 people at camp3. There are 70 beds in the shelter which were all occupied when I got there. Some climbers set up tents outside the shelter, and some used the old shelter located about 50 meters to the south of the main one.

Camp3
Camp3


Sunset at camp3
Sunset at camp3

There is a grocery store/restaurant at Bargaah-e sevvom which provides food (mainly soup) and other stuff like tea, soft drinks, dates,chocolate bars, biscuits, ….. This place is open all year round. It is always warm inside the shelter, and they turn off the lights at around 10PM. Make sure to take your headlight with you when you stay overnight.

Since the beds were occupied, I slept at a corner in the restaurant area. Out of those 100-150 people in camp3 about 30-40 people attempted to summit Damavand. One group left at 2AM and others left at around 5AM. I wanted to leave the shelter at 5AM but as soon as I stepped out it was so cold that I had to jump back in. Unlike others, I had only a thin shirt and a sleeveless jacket which were not enough at -10C. I didn’t expect the temperature to be this low in mid August. I waited till 6AM, and then started hiking to the summit.

Doberar ridgeline
Doberar ridgeline

On the way up you can see several permanent snowfields. The main glaciers of Damavand are on the NW, N, NE and East face.

A snow field
 

Doberar ridgeline
Doberar ridgeline

Mt. Gole-e zard
Mt. Gole-e zard

A snow field
A snowfield


There is a frozen waterfall at the elevation of 5100m.

The frozen waterfall
The frozen waterfall


When you get close to the summit, emission of the sulphurous gases makes breathing a little difficult. Some people use masks, but I was more comfortable without it. Some people pour some vinegar on the paper masks to make the filtering better.


Almost there
Getting close to the summit

Lar dam
Lar dam

People wearing masks
 

Emission of sulphurous gases
Emission of sulphorous gases

Near the summit
 

Near the summit
 

On the average it takes about 6 hours for the hikers to get to the summit from camp3. Here are some photos from the summit and around the crater. My GPS altimeter showed 5619m at the highest point.


The summit
The summit

The highest point (5619m)
The highest point (5619m)

Lar dam
Lar dam from the summit
 

The crater
 

The crater
 

Lar dam
 

The summit
The summit

The crater
The crater

Looking ENE
 

Haraz valley
Haraz Valley

Valaru plateau
Valaru plateau

The fumarole
The fumarole

The fumarole and Baam-e Barfi
The fumarole and Baam-e Barfi

Yakhar valley
Yakhar valley

Yakhar Valley
Yakhar valley


Mt. Pashooreh
Mt. Pashooreh

Looking east
 

pashooreh and Doberar
Pashooreh and Doberar


I spent about 45 minutes on the summit and around thecrater, and then started going down. On the way down you can go fast. It tookme about 1hour and 45 minutes to get to camp3 from the summit.


Lar dam
On the way down

Camp3
Camp3


I spent abouthalf an hour at camp3, and packed my stuff, and started going down.  It took me another 1 hour and 45 minutes toget to camp2. I got a ride at camp2 to get to camp1. That was the end of thetrip.




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
markhallam

markhallam - Oct 11, 2015 9:46 am - Voted 10/10

Nice report & photos

I know very little about Iran and correspondingly little about its highest mountain. Thanks for enlightening me and for helping us accompany you up to the summit - your photos came out pretty well despite having to use your mobile.
Best wishes on your next project - will that be an Iranian peak as well?
Mark

kamran

kamran - Oct 11, 2015 2:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice report & photos

Thanks Mark for your comments. I really enjoyed the trip, and my next project will most likely be another Iranian peak.

markhallam

markhallam - Oct 11, 2015 3:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice report & photos

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing the trip report!

kamran

kamran - Oct 11, 2015 6:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice report & photos

Thank you so much Mark.

libertyman

libertyman - Oct 14, 2015 4:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Excellent Report

Too bad you didn't have a US &/or Israeli flag to plant on the summit when you got there. Maybe next time, huh? :-)

nader

nader - Oct 15, 2015 9:49 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Excellent Report

Or a flag of Arkansas Militia.

kamran

kamran - Oct 15, 2015 9:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent Report

Thanks Libertyman.
They have already set up an Iranian flag on the summit. Now that the agreement is signed between the US and Iran, it should be OK to set up a US flag there. However, if you don't mind plant the Israeli flag yourself!!:-))

Viewing: 1-7 of 7


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

DamavandTrip Reports