Age of Canvas: Ushguli Village

Age of Canvas: Ushguli Village

We are camping here in the communal pasture just North of the village, in fall view of its famous defensive family towers. A plan to seek shelter inside one of the ancient tower-compounds fell through because the local belief forbade sheltering "unpure" girls on the eve of St. Quirike, the holiest of the feasts of the Highland Svans. And of course no villager would vouch for our stranger girls. Apart from its scalloped-gunport towers and arched doorways, Ushguli's other claim to fame is that it is the highest-altitude village in Europe, at 7,000+ ft. Of course many people would say that this village is in Asia, its being on the South slopes of the Caucasus ... it is a notch stronger version of the familiar Elbrus vs. Mont Blanc argument all over again. The third claim to fame (for three is a charm) is the tale of the murder of a guest of honor. Ushgulians invited Prince Dadeshkeliani, an influential lord from the opposite end of the Khevy ( the Canyon of Svanety ), ostensibly for a feast. The plan was to shoot the prince and thus to check his rumored plans of expansion. But no clan could agree to carry it out, for fear of devastating blood feud. So the elders commanded one man of each clan to hold a rope tied to the gun's trigger. They all pulled the rope together and from that moment on, the Dadeshkelianis were in blood vengeance against the whole community. July 1981.
Dmitry Pruss
on Oct 14, 2007 10:28 am
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 347344

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
BigLee

BigLee - Nov 11, 2007 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Ushguli

Nice to see you've also been to this fantastic spot. Hopefully I'll be able to go back one day.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Nov 12, 2007 10:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Ushguli

The place is a sight to behold, that's for certain! Been there 4 times, but the first one was the most magic, that's when we stayed in one of the fortress-home compunds with the local librarian's family.

marshalltenbears

marshalltenbears - Jan 19, 2008 10:53 pm - Voted 10/10

great story

thanks for the interesting story.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Jan 20, 2008 12:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great story

Thanks! I figured if I will ever get to writing whole pages about these travels and places, I could as well start with putting little snippets of stories in the pictures :)

yatsek

yatsek - Dec 29, 2008 1:24 am - Voted 10/10

Caucasus

But for the martial law of the early 1980s in Poland, I'd've probably reached the Caucausus around 1985. My plan for 1982/3 was Montenegro, then eastern Turkey...

Viewing: 1-5 of 5