Amanita muscaria

Amanita muscaria

Fly Amanita (Amanita muscaria) is common throughout the Low Beskid. This attractive mushroom adds beauty to every forest. Its red cap with white dots makes it one of the most easily identified wild mushroom. The cap is white when the mushroom is very young and later develops into a red cap up to around 8-20 cm (3-8 inches) in diameter. Amanita muscaria is poisonous. The Low Beskid - The slope of Mount Kopiec - September 29, 2007.
Henryk
on Feb 13, 2008 2:37 am
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 380627

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Feb 13, 2008 9:07 am - Voted 10/10

Nice

photo. We have these mushrooms in Denmark too, but so far I haven't seen them in France.

Henryk

Henryk - Feb 13, 2008 4:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Thank you for your votes and information. We had lots of various mushrooms last year. Too bad Amanita muscaria is poisonous. Greetings, Henryk.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Feb 14, 2008 1:30 am - Voted 10/10

Amanita?

Amanita bisporigera causes a lot of USA poisonings. Apparently there is a fairly good antitoxin, and the illness takes long enough that people often make it to a hospital in time to get recognition of the symptoms.

Henryk

Henryk - Feb 14, 2008 3:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Amanita?

In Poland about 500 - 1000 people get poisoned by mushrooms from amanita family each year, even though it seems to be common knowledge that they are poisonous. Thank you for the comment and vote. Greetings, Henryk.

MTN Trader

MTN Trader - Feb 14, 2008 8:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Poisoning explanation?

These mushrooms are reputed to have psychedelic properties (which is apparently not the case). Hence the frequent poisonings.

hasue

hasue - Feb 14, 2008 9:45 pm - Voted 9/10

not exactly psychedelic

The shamans mushroom causes delusions not hallucinations according to the book "From Chocolate to Morphine". The toxin muscarine varies in each mushroom so they are unpredictable. They grow at treeline in the high country of Colorado in abundance.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6