An Afternoon at Many Pools

An Afternoon at Many Pools

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 21, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
South from Many Pools
A sweeping view...this view is looking back south across some of the pools to some of the sandstone wonders of eastern Zion.

On April 21, 2011, I climbed Mount Kinesava while my wife hiked the Chinle Trail. By one in the afternoon, we were finished and back to the lodge room for showers and lunch, and then we spent a few lazy hours in the sun reading and dozing.

But a sunny afternoon in Zion, especially a warm spring one, is not to be entirely wasted lying upon a towel a few yards from the Virgin River. Around 5:00, then, we set out for Many Pools Canyon, also known as one of the Root Canals because of the way it and its sister canyon look on a topo map, to hike, scramble, and ramble as far as we felt like before heading back to Springdale for dinner and wine.

What follows is a photo trip report, with some commentary, that hopefully does justice to this spectacular little canyon. Although we were fortunate enough to be without the kids this time, we both agreed that Many Pools would be a great place to take kids because of the relative ease of the terrain, the many opportunities for "rock climbing," all the pools of water, and, in season, the frogs. And the best thing of all is that the canyon has no maintained trail and is not named on maps; even though it is right off the road through the east side of Zion, it is not heavily used or well known.

 
Pool and Reflection Going up the canyon...this "peak" is actually a wall on a large mesa and does not stand alone.
 
Heading Upcanyon  
 
Mesa Walls  



 
One of Many Pools...
 
One of Many  
 
Two of Many  



 
Hanging Out and Blending In The frogs...
 
Desert Frog-- Many Pools, Zion  
 
Desert Frog  



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Mar 1, 2014 6:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Kinesava...

Funny you should mention that peak. I climbed it via the Cowboy Ridge last March and used your great beta for the Class 4 descent. Beautiful country down there!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 4, 2014 10:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Kinesava...

Ah, so you finally got to Zion. I hope to get back there next month. Cowboy Ridge looks fun; glad my page helped you out on the return.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Mar 4, 2014 11:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Kinesava...

Yes, Jacob and I spent a week there in late March last year! Made a special trip from WA to get away from all the rain. So much climbing to be had there :)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3