Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 1, 2014

Add Heading Here

I lucked out and got an overnight permit about a week before the trip on recreation.gov. The plan was to start in the afternoon, camp at trail camp, and summit and hike out the next day.

My schedule changed and I was able to get to Lone Pine the night before. So I then planned to sleep at the trailhead and hike the 22 miles if things went well. If they didn't I'd have the overnight permit to use on the way down at either Trail or Outpost camps.

Woke up a 4am after a restless night in my rental. Made a nice steady pace and made trail camp in 3 hrs. Should have worn my sneakers and not my boots--big blisters on the backs of my heels! Ouch! The trail was great to hike: not a ton of rock-hopping or step-ups. Just a nice, steady trail most of the way.

After a quick break for moleskin, trudged up the switch backs. Made it to trail crest 6 hours in. There was some snow on the top part, but it was hardpacked and pretty easy to walk on.  Speaking of switchbacks--the "switchback section" gets alot of pub, but it felt like the entire 22 miles were switchbacks.

Summitted at noon, 8 hours in. The section between trail crest and trail junction was quite a bit more technical (rock-hopping) than I expected, but not really difficult. Need to watch a couple of spots, as they have some sheer drops--not a place to be stumbling around.

Weather was perfect!! Lots of people on the trail on the way down--really slows the pace as you let them through. Made it back to the parking lot in 6-1/2 hours (after an hour break at trail camp).   High point number 36 in the bag!

Next time I think I'd wear sneakers and ditch the heavy pack; I'd planned for an overnight and rucked my tent and other overnight stuff all the way to trail camp for no reason.  I was worried about weather, but I don't think I needed to.

I'm in pretty decent shape, but don't live at altitude and have never been a fast hiker, so maybe these times will help you plan. Oh, I didn't run into any rangers on my trip. Just sayin'...

Comments

No comments posted yet.