Apex Mountain Comments

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Klenke

Klenke - Aug 12, 2009 3:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Top 100 lists

Nice page. One might say it's the Apex of your SP achievements thus far. :)

The USGS is not in the business of putting out an "official 100 highest" list. The list you are referring to is actually Jeff Smoot's creation (don't let him fool you by his list's "official" title). But it is interesting that Apex is #100 on such a list that only includes named points on a map.

This statement should be modified a bit:
"John Roper, including all unnamed high points in Washington State, Apex would rank #124."
would be clearer if it said:
"John Roper, including all unnamed high points with greater than or equal to 400P in Washington State, Apex would rank #124." Substitution of the symbol for "greater than or equal to" would help here to keep the sentence concise.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Aug 12, 2009 4:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Top 100 lists

Thanks Klenke. I appreciate the advice. I see what you mean about Mr. Smoot and his "official list". I have made corrective changes as you suggested. I thought about adding a link to the 400P and top 100 pages here on SP but decided that was excessive since Apex is not on those lists.

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 12, 2009 4:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Top 100 lists

Thanks. I think it would be better to say that Apex is just barely too low in elevation [by 23+ feet] to have been considered for the Bulger List. The Bulger List stops at 100 summits. There is no extended Bulgler List, which is what your current wording suggests.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Aug 13, 2009 11:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Top 100 lists

Good point. I think it is interesting and worth mentioning the near miss of the Bulger List. I changed the wording.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Apex Mountain' main page