Appistoki Creek Route (Appistoki Peak)

Appistoki Creek Route (Appistoki Peak)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.46760°N / 113.354°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Appistoki Route QuadRoute Topo. The ascent route is shown in YELLOW and optional descent is shown in GREEN.

Appistoki Peak is featured in Edwards’ “Routes Among The Peaks” on pages 315-316 in A CLIMBER'S GUIDE TO GLACIER NATIONAL PARK. If the completed Scenic Point Ridgewalk is taken Edwards states in his guidebook that the trip should take about 10 hours (it took a climbing partner and I about 7 hours to complete but we did not linger at any summits).

The route also crosses unnamed peaks and allows access for other peaks in the area such as accessing Mt. Ellsworth on an extended ridge walk.

If the desire is to do Appistoki Peak as part of the Scenic Point Ridge Walk continue up the trail when reaching the first switch back above Appistoki Falls (it is obvious as the great face of Henry can be seen from this switchback) and follow the route on the Mount Henry page. Avoid the temptation to attain the ridge above by climbing through the cliffs above the switchback. It takes much longer and traveling on the trail is easier.

Getting There

Two Medicine StoreScenic Point from Two Medicine Lake


For details reaching the Two Medicine Valley and the Scenic Point please refer to the Appistoki Peak Main Page.

Route Description

If the desire is to do Appistoki Peak as part of the Scenic Point Ridge Walk continue up the trail when reaching the first switch back above Appistoki Falls (it is obvious as the great face of Henry can be seen from this switchback) and follow the route on the Mount Henry page. Avoid the temptation to attain the ridge above by climbing through the cliffs above the switchback. It takes much longer and traveling on the trail is easier.



Route Description: TEXT IN CAPITAL LETTERS LINK TO ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF THE ROUTE.
Scenic Point Ridge WalkVIEW OF ROUTE FROM SWITCHBACK

From the trailhead enjoy a walk through trees while listening to Appistoki Falls. A short side trip on your return rewards you with a beautiful view of APPISTOKI FALLS. After breaking out of the trees and enjoying Appistoki Creek far below the trail reaches a switchback that yields views of part of HENRY'S NORTH FACE. This is the point that must be reached to begin a direct ascent of Appistoki and is also the desired point when descending back to the trail from Appistoki.

From the SWITCHBACK walk on the sidehill underneath a great ridge towards the basin below Mount Henry. Keep in mind that you will need to regain all of the elevation lost so try to stay on a set contour line as much as possible. Once the creek is met it will be necessary to cross it. There were multiple places to cross in August but earlier in the year could prove challenging depending upon the amount of snow melt feeding the creek.




Scenic Point Ridge WalkLOOKING TO THE WEST FROM APPISTOKI SADDLE




After crossing the creek head for the low saddle on the west side of Appistoki. This portion of the climb will be the most tiresome portion of the climb. After reaching the saddle the route to the twin summits is uncomplicated.







Appistoki PeakCLIMBING APPISTOKI PEAK




Climbing Appistoki is an easy task as the ridge ascends 500 feet to the summit which sit at 8,143 feet above sea level. Take time and enjoy the views of Two Medicine and the bowl below Mt. Henry’s north face.





Scenic Point Ridge WalkLOOKING DOWN ROUTE FROM APPISTOKI SADDLE



Descend from Appistoki by choosing one of TWO OPTIONS AS OUTLINED. Each route will RETURN TO THE SWITCHBACK.

Option 1) Descend the east cliffs of Appistoki to the streambed and follow its course along class 3 and 4 cliffs that are easily navigable to the switchback which is at 6,000 feet.

Option 2) Descend 500 feet on the NORTH SIDE OF APPISTOKI to a ramp that slopes east until at the 6,000 feet contour and return to the trail near the switchback. Return to the trailhead via Scenic Point Trail.

Special Considerations

Low LarkspurLow Larkspur

Special Considerations: The rock in Glacier Park is widely varied and it is not unusual to find several different types of rock on any given route. Know your rocks and be certain of your safety. J. Gordon Edwards has an excellent section in his guidebook on rock and climbing safety. Be safe and know your limitations as well as those who are climbing with you. Also refer to the following links for further details: GNP Rock and Grading System and the GMS Climbing Guidelines.

External Links

Glacier Mountaineering Society
Two Medicine Trails
Visit Montana
Glacier National Park in Pictures

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.