Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.37543°S / 44.66389°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Sport Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8668 ft / 2642 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Looking at the rock!
Me looking at the rock

Big bone I found on the way to Asa de Hermes
That was a femur bone of a medium sized mammal.
Asa de Hermes (or Hermes wing) is a big rock beside Agulhas Negras Peak, inside Itatiaia National Park, Brazil. Most of the brazilian mountaineers don't even try to get there because they're going up to the Agulhas Negras traverse, and just don't try this one so they can save energy. Or they just don't go, simple as that.

As almost nobody goes there, there's no trail. After the rain season the woods grow up pretty good and hide the possible path. And again, as nobody goes there, nature takes care of itself.

The park itself really is something. It has something around 35 summits, most of them, higher then 2.400 m above sea level. Loads of rock climbing routes, a rock climbing school and training walls at the rocks of Morro do Couto, another big brazilian mountain of 2.680 m.

Getting There

 
Summit.
Summit!
 
Second attempt, I got this close.
Second attempt

By bus

From Minais Gerais/ São Paulo/ Rio de Janeiro, you have to take a bus to a little city called Itanhandú. Several bus companies can take you there. Once you get to Itanhandú, take a nother bus from the same bus station to Itamonte, a smaller town, at the bottom of the Sierra.

There is the point: Once you get to Itamonte, it is hard to find transport to the park entrance. But there's some taxi drivers that know the park and can take you up to the park, and that's gonna cost you around R$ 100,00 (about US$ 55.00).

From the main entrance, you have to register at the military office, than you're free to get into the park from 8am to 5pm. It is important to get out at the right time to avoid problems.

Once inside the park, just pick the mountains to climb/ hike.

To this rock, you must follow the same route to Agulhas Negras Peak, but after the bridge something like 15 min, the trail is gonna split into 3 ways: Left to altar Peak, right to Agulhas Negras Peak and middle to Asa de Hermes rock. You have to take the middle of course. After a while te trail just ends. Pay attention to the cairns and follow them to the pass between the Unnamed Peak 1 and Agulhas Negras. After the pass, left turn and scramble up till you reach the rock. There's a summit visitors book to sign at.

Don't expect this to be easy, from the entrance of the park to the summit and come back, it can take up to 10 hours, it's up your shape.

Camping

Camping inside and outside the park is strictly forbidden and strongly fiscalized, don't even try that. There's is a camping site called alsene 2km outside the park down the road, but it is closed now for crimes against the flora, bastards!
I recomend to stay at some cheap hotel at Itamonte (R$ 50,00 - around uS$ 22.00).

The second option is to stay at the Rebouças hut, and that would make it easier for you to hike this peak.

To access the page for the hut and its info: Summitpost - Rebouças Hut

Red Tape

I see you!
It almost bit me! heheheItatiaia National Park, aug 2009.
What’s forbidden:
At all costs, don't make fire or Deforest any places. Respect the nature and wildlife please!



BE CAREFUL ABOUT SNAKES AND POISONOUS SPIDERS (BROWN SPIDER)
A GPS is highly recommended for that part of the park, on a foggy day you will be lost in no time.

The Park

The area of the Itatiaia National Park is divided into two different environments. One is the Atlantic forest with numerous centenarian trees that keep hold of the lower part, and the other which characterizes for its mountainous topography with crags and peaks on its highest part.

The mountainous place is ideal for long and amusing hikes in the midst of landscapes of singular beauty. Altitudes vary between 700 and 2792 metres.

It is considered the first national park in Brazil for the preliminary data concerning its creation goes back to the beginnings of the XX century. The Pico das Aguilhas Mountain, the fifth tallest of the country, is located in this natural reserve between the limits of Minas Gerais and Sao Paulo.

After a failed project the then Biological Station of Rio de Janeiro's Botanic Garden became a National Park in July of 1937, during the mandate of president Getulio Vargas, with an area of 12 thousand hectares. Its extension was enlarged to cover 30 thousand hectares in 1982.

Weather Forecast



PS: The weather forecast on this link is not for this mountain but it will do just fine since the mountain from the forcast (Black Needles) is just a few kms away from it.

Very windy place!!!!

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links


My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes
- Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist: