Assault on Britton Hill, FL

Assault on Britton Hill, FL

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 21, 2010
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

2010 Assault on Britton Hill, FL

June 20, 2010 0600 hours: With car and trailer loaded we headed east across the southern part of the United States for our assault on Florida’s highest point, Britton Hill. Our attempt to reach the summit last year was undone by whiny teenagers…… The first part of our trek would take us from our Prosper, TX base east through Shreveport, LA then south to New Orleans. We headed east out of New Orleans across Lake Pontchartrain, under the Alabama River and over Mobile Bay to De Funiak Springs, FL where we would establish Camp 1 for the night before our final push to the summit the next day.

June 21, 2010 0900 hours: After a good night’s rest and good weather forecasted for the day, we headed north towards Florida’s Britton Hill. After about forty-five minutes we arrived at the base of Britton Hill. We exited our urban assault vehicle and prepared for the final 50 foot hike to gain the summit. With disgruntle teenagers in tow we all made the summit of Britton Hill, Florida’s highest point with out incident. After a brief stay on the summit for pictures we started our decent and all safely made it back to our car. With our fourth highpoint in the bag we headed for the beach for a week of baking in the sand……... Britton Hill reaches a height of 345 feet above sea level; the roof of The Four Seasons Hotel and Tower in Miami, FL reaches a height of 789, almost twice the height of Britton Hill.
Britton Hill, FL looking to the SELooking to the SE from the summit of Britton Hill, FL


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Ruvicha

Ruvicha - Apr 15, 2012 8:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Sympathetic

Great trip report. I hike with aging baby boomers. Even with your thrilling account, I have doubts whether they would dare attempt Britton Hill. If they did, they would whine the whole way up, all the way back, insist on a hyper-alcoholic celebration on returning to the parking lot, and demand compensation for massage therapy to recuperate. You got off easy with the teens.

crussellbowden

crussellbowden - Sep 23, 2014 4:44 am - Voted 8/10

hilarious

Great description!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Britton HillTrip Reports