Atlantic Peak West Ridge – 2/26/2012

Atlantic Peak West Ridge – 2/26/2012

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 26, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter

Stats

Mountain: Atlantic Peak (13,841’)
Route: Started at the Mayflower Gulch TH (10990’) and climbed the W. Ridge via the Pacific Creek Drainage.
Stats:
Elevation Gain ~2900’
Distance ~5.5 miles
Crew: Shawn, Prakash

Approach

With blowing snow and gusty winds in the forecast, Atlantic’s short and sweet west ridge with a short approach sounded like a good icebreaker to winter 2012.

001At the Trailhead


With a packed Jeep road to follow, we faced our first trail-breaking (6-12”) duties after we left the road to cross Mayflower Creek en route up the Pacific Creek drainage.

006Broken Trail


We broke our way up through deep snow in the trees to ~12000’ where we left our planks since the route above looked barren and strewn with talus.

016Leaving the Ski Stash


017Carrying skis through here is not awesome

Above Treeline

The wind picked up when we exited the trees... felt like 30 mph sustained with harder gusts. We plowed through.

019Slowly gaining the Ridge


The ridge is short, sweet and much drier, at this time, than I was led to believe from route descriptions I read in preparation for this trip.

022The West Ridge


Pacific Peak looks majestic yet slightly restless from the plumes thrown up by the winds.

023Pacific Peak Stirred by Wind


Not much left of this ridge now.

031A bad, masked mamajama

Summit Ridge

Mayflower Gulch is a striking place with a rugged skyline.

033The Skyline of Mayflower Gulch


The sculpted fins of corniced snow make for picturesque climbing.

038The Summit Ridge on Atlantic - Very Andes-like


The summit was reached. Copper Mtn is seen in the distance…

047Copper Mtn from the Summit of Atlantic

Descent

The wind chased us off the summit in quick time and in about an hour we were back down at the ski cache finally able to break for a meal.

051Back at the Ski Stash


A view is always nice to have during your afternoon meal…

052A couple boarders wallowed in the valley below


053The view over lunch


054That was a good sandwich?


056Name the Peak?


The ski through the trees was low-angle but an absolute blast all the same. We were back down at our skin track in no time. The ski down the 1.1 mile stretch of packed Jeep road took all of 15 minutes and we were back down with plenty of time to get home.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Kruck

Kruck - Feb 29, 2012 9:59 am - Voted 10/10

high and dry

nice photos. looks like a fun day.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Atlantic PeakTrip Reports