Viewing: 1-20 of 20
96avs01

96avs01 - Jul 11, 2010 3:12 am - Hasn't voted

Hope

your recovery continues to be a success!

On a side note, do you feel an ABS pack would have helped or significantly changed the outcome?

Cheers

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Jul 13, 2010 10:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hope Floats

Thanks for your note. Yes, I think an ABS pack would have helped me in this situation. Everyone that ventures into avalanche prone terrain should carry an ABS pack, shovel, beacon, probe and safe outerwear and equipment, and know how to use them.

My motto to this point has generally been to avoid avy conditions entirely. the north facing trees on the slopes of Grand Mesa are famously stable. I don't usually go into the high peaks of Colorado until the display a very firm, solid "sidewalk" stable snow pack by late May through mid-June / July. The opportunity to have enough snow to ski the Thunderbird above Grand Junction is a rare opportunity that may not happen for years at a time. The indicators for most of Colorado showed low danger that day. There was a thirteen-hour freeze that prior evening at ten-thousand feet on Grand Mesa. I am however always leery of west facing slopes that receive late and lasting sun hit. We were skiing on thin layer of firm crusty-crunchy snow. I just happened to ski into a deep soft bowl of sugar-like snow and it gave way. The firm layer on top initially pushed me face first down-slope and I was amazed at how fast the slide was moving immediately. It felt like about 60 miles per hour within 3 seconds. I swam and fought toward the surface the duration of the 450 foot long slide. I felt like I was upright but never saw daylight until I was out of the slide. I was in the air three times and then was "spit" out when the slide hit a "berm" near the bottom of the slide path. Had I not been spit out, I would have gone in the air one last time and to either side and likely would have hit rocks and then been buried. I think an ABS pack would have helped me, and more-so would help most unlucky or dense adventurers who get caught in larger volume avalanches float to or near the top of the slide. In my particular case the terrain was so rough and the slide so violent and fast that I'm not certain what would have happened differently.

I make Loki gear that has built in mitts, neck-gaiters, extra storage and summit pack options. I have used Loki jackets carrying nothing but liner gloves for seven years. A minor testament: my brother and I summited Denali with the mitts retaining more heat than separate lose-able gloves and forgettable neck-gaiter/face protection sealing out -35 below temps. Our gear cost the same, is the same quality or better than our competitors, at the most can save your fingers and face and in the least are extremely efficient and convenient. It has yet to take a real hold in the market, though. Loki is gradually getting respect and excellent growth despite the times. it's tough and justifiably takes time to be a trusted gear manufacturer in the outdoor sphere. I think that ABS + BCA's Snowpulse make sense. The justifiable expense and extra heft may serve as barrier to all but the absolutely dedicated and / or well heeled back country adventurer. My FINAL WORD: For those that live on or choose to visit the fracture line of snow-riding, compared to dying a cold lonely death and leaving your loved-ones in pain, the price and weight of an Airbag enabled pack is "dead-on" .

phlipdascrip

phlipdascrip - Jul 11, 2010 8:53 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks for sharing

your story. Reminds one to be careful out there. Hope you'll have a speedy recovery!

rdmc

rdmc - Jul 11, 2010 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank God you are alive!

Wow, what an experience to live through.
May you be blessed with a speedy recovery.

mtnturf

mtnturf - Jul 11, 2010 11:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Wow

Your xrays of your leg is insane man. Keep up the good work on your road to recovery. The mountains will be there for you when you're back.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Jul 12, 2010 9:47 am - Voted 10/10

Man,,,

That was bad luck....i wish you a great recovery.
Long way to be new again, but i'm sure you won't give up!

Good luck man!

Greetins from Brazil.

Paulo

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Jan 29, 2011 1:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Man,,,

I noticed I didn't thank you for kind comments... Obragado!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Jul 12, 2010 2:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Youth

You've got that on your side. Sometimes that's hard to combine with patience.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Jul 13, 2010 9:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Youth

agreed- thanks for reading.

Mlasky

Mlasky - Jul 12, 2010 11:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Wishes

You are lucky to be with us to live that dream again, or another dream, however it works out for you. Wishes for a quality recovery, however long that takes to get back to whole. regards

sicnarnar

sicnarnar - Jul 13, 2010 8:01 am - Hasn't voted

Inspiring

Thanks for sharing. Godspeed on the recovery.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Jul 16, 2010 7:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Good read!

Maybe you could use the down time to do some more writing.
Godspeed!

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Jul 30, 2010 3:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good read!

Thanks Nooner. As for writing, I am in process of submitting Nat Geo an article about John Otto and the 100 year celebration of his founding the Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction CO. My main passion is Loki. www.lokigear.com if you get a chance to see it, we make very useful gear for high output cold place.

Zzyzx - Jul 17, 2010 1:20 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks for sharing

Best wishes to you Seth for a complete recovery. I'm glad you're alive and have a good family support, that's what matters most.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Jul 30, 2010 3:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for sharing

thank you and nice interview. very touching.

Kaylypso

Kaylypso - Jul 21, 2010 2:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Way to survive!

And I'm sure you're gonna thrive, with a great outlook and loving family. I wish you many more great outdoor experiences, I know that's in your future.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Jul 30, 2010 3:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Way to survive!

Thank you Kay. I'm very lucky too. I'm so enjoying my son right now. My wife and son were my magnets to resist dying. I love them so.

AlliedBiscuit

AlliedBiscuit - Oct 23, 2010 1:35 pm - Hasn't voted

inspired

As bad as this trip turned out, I find myself even more inspired to explore the west face of the mesa knowing that others share dreams of shredding these characters that overlook the valley all winter. Not sure what you think about this but if you ever have the urge to go back there, or anywhere on the grand mesa for that matter, count me in!

Best wishes on your recovery.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Nov 9, 2010 1:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: inspired for hard snow

I was think about it this morning, with the nice hit of fresh snow and all. In hindsight, I think the safest time to ski up there would be a few days after a storm, with constant cold to keep the sun from loosening the the layers. I won't be ready til next year this time,IF I survive my recovery. It has been seriously sucky. The SWAN has been skied, and is shelterd enough from south and west exposure than I think its safer. farther to reach but safer. I would camp halfway up too, or, if you could go really light, camp on top, then ski wicked early in the AM, right at dawn. he Swan, is steep but is managable part of the cliffs. The notch where Rapid creek drops in is steep to but can be skied. It is almos t straight south exposure though.

cimadisasso

cimadisasso - Feb 24, 2011 7:29 am - Hasn't voted

way to survive

I have read the article only today.

Horrible accident!

Bes wishes on your recovery.

LISA
(I sent you a PM)

Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Return to 'Avalanche Recovery: Month Three, Fifteen To Go' main page