Azkarate-Urdilleko lepoa

Azkarate-Urdilleko lepoa

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.03290°N / 2.03035°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: F (Fácil, Easy)
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

BalerdiEast face

The route from Azkarate across the col of Urdille (urdilleko lepoa in euskera) is the easiest to climb Balerdi but it's not easy to find. In many zones of Aralar the path is not always present.

Getting There

Map of AralarMap

From Pamplona you'll take the AP-15 to Irurzun. You'll follow direction San Sebatian/ Donostia. You'll exit in Salida 127: Lekumberri / Tolosa / Uitzi. You'll go to Betelu and Arribe and finally you'll turn to Azkarate (signal to left).

Route Description

BalerdiNE face
Col of UrdilleCol of Urdille

We'll begin in Azkarate near of the church. The paint goes across a track to the cemetery. We'll follow the track on right side (it's possible to walk in the green hill of left side out of path but is easiest to follow the track if you don't know the zone). After some curves we'll arrive to the col of Urdille under the peak Urreako Haitzak (Gold's Peak). We'll follow the path in North side of Balerdi across the plains of Larrondo. We'll pass the summit before to turn at N.W. of Artubi and Balerdi. We'll get a new path in south direction, more evident and wide and crossing a fence we'll reach the bottom of peak Zabalegi (1101m). The best option is to turn to left side (SE) to evitate the peak out of path to reach the col near of it. We'll turn to SE and to East to get the great ramp of Artubi (1263m). Near of the ridge we'll climb the summit of this peak easily. Now we'll follow to East and after a little descent we'll get the ridge of Balerdi.

The final ridge is very exposed and not for hikers. The grade is I generally except one point of I+ of 2-3 meters. After the short ridge we'll reach the narrow summit with a cross.
Summit of BalerdiSummit

Images of final ridge

Summit and ridge

Ridge of Balerdi
Ridge of Balerdi

Essential Gear

A map is very usefull.
Rope? only for begginers but it's difficult to tie.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

BalerdiRoutes