Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.00444°N / 115.06611°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5186 ft / 1581 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

 
Silver Bullet

 


Take the Kananaskis Highway (Highway 40) exit off of the Trans-Canada Highway between Calgary and Canmore. Travel past Kananaskis Park headquarters and Barrier Lake on your right and Mount Baldy on the left as you are heading southbound. Park at the Wasootch Creek Day Use Area on your left. You will clearly see Wasootch Tower from the highway as you near the parking turnoff. From the parking lot, follow the faint gravel trails up the creek bed to the slabs on your left, starting with “A” slab.  
Third Corner

 
    



B Slab has a left and right section divided by a very popular route at Wasootch Slabs that forms a prominent corner that runs from bottom to top called Second Corner, 5.7, B19. The best way to find where you want to climb on B Slab (since there are 35 routes!) is to start at B19 and either move or count your way left or right depending on what you are looking for.

Route Description(s)

B1-B7- 5.2-5.7- A bunch of low end trad routes.



B8-Stumped-5.10a



B9-B-Line-5.10a-trad/small nuts



B10-The Funnel-5.8-trad



B11-Funnel Arete-5.8



B12-5.6-trad



B13-Smoke on the Water-5.11b



B14-Machine Head-5.11a



B15-Arborist-5.10a



B16-Popular Mechanics-5.9-trad/BD #4



B17-First Corner-5.7-trad



B18-Orange Arete-5.8-trad/nuts



B19-Second Corner-5.7-trad- This is the route that divides B Slab in two and gets a lot of attention. So much so, that it has become quite polished. I watched a pretty good climber fall on it repeatedly. I can’t say I had the same difficulty however, it is still a 5.7. It protects well with multiple cams and/or nuts. Of course it is less polished the further up you go. The hands get a little thin for a 5.7 towards the top and makes beginners think about their legs more which makes it a good teaching route. The rap station is off to the right as you near the top of the corner. This is a full length corner, but you will move to the outside edge a time or two during the 2nd half. (photo)



B20-Stiletto-5.11d-top rope, highest rated route at Wasootch Slabs



B21-Wallstreet-5.11a



B22-Third Corner-5.9-trad- One of the best trad routes at Wasootch Slabs. It is the next corner just right of Second Corner. However this corner does not rise all the way to the top. It peters out and then you wind your way up to some hanging blocks above. The rappel rings are above these blocks. This is a full 30 meter route, but the 5.9 is just in the bottom half. Good cam and nut placements for the more difficult climbing. A little run out after that. You can protect before you have to do an overhang to get over those blocks, it is not bomber however. (photo)



B23-Exhibit A-5.10b- Although a trad route in the guide book, this is now a sport route. Start right of the Third Corner on face moves. The crux is low and it eases considerably as you tie back into Third Corner for the finish. (photo)



B24-Exhibit B-5.11- Too many routes too close together here. I don’t get it.



B25-Silver Bullet-5.10a- Although a trad route in the guide book, this is now a sport route. It starts on a ramp and moves back left under a concaved overhang. You can get over the overhang no worries. The crux is moving back left over the overhang to follow the bolt line with few features in sight. Once you find the key, it is an exhilarating move to be sure. (photo)



B26-Good Gear-5.7-Appropriately named, however they give you a cheater bolt on the mini-roof which is the crux half way up. The first half is easy, but you will want to place a few pieces after you turn the roof and move left and up. The 2nd half is definitely the fun half of this pitch. This is a nice 5.7. If you go over the next roof direct, that is Cracked Slab which is a 5.9 move. (photo)



B27-Cracked Slab-5.9-trad with a nice roof move in the middle.



B28-B35-5.6-510c- A bunch of low end top rope routes.

Essential Gear

A single 60 meter rope ought to do you. Many of these pitches are close to 30 meters which is nice. Sport Climbs in the Canadian Rockies is the book you need, but somewhat outdated on what is trad or sport. You might get by without it if Dr. Topo has everything you need in terms of which routes you want to do. Bring your trad gear, there are still some fun trad routes left.

External Links

The Kananaskis Provincial Park website is a very thorough park website, including trail conditions or closures, wildlife notices, weather conditions, avalanche conditions, camping permits, whitewater conditions, etc. It is an excellent source if you are going to spend any time here and comparable to any National Park website I have used. Canadian Alpine Accident Reports are also extremely useful. There is only one accident report for Wasootch Slabs as of 2006.







Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wasootch SlabsMountains & Rocks