Bad weather beating in

Bad weather beating in

It doens´t look like, but at that point it took a few tries to hold the camera in the right angle. The storm was beating at more than 100km/h and it felt like a big guy standing behind, having hands on my backpack, shaking me and trying to make me fall down.
Nikman
on Dec 10, 2006 3:51 pm
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing
Image ID: 250505

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - Dec 10, 2006 4:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Of course...

Of course, bad but beautiful!!!! Very impressive!!!
Congras!!!
Romek

hiltrud.liu

hiltrud.liu - Dec 12, 2006 10:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Tremendous ...

and ghostly!
Hiltrud

Nikman

Nikman - Dec 13, 2006 9:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tremendous ...

Yes you are right, the picture is a little bit spooky.

It was a full moon night and if you watch the picture in high resulution you can see some reflections of fullmoon in icy parts on the rocks that surround the icefiled. The shot was taken at about 5.30 in the morning when a wall of clouds ran in as we were decending from camp 2 at Cerro San Lorenzo for 5 hours already at that time. The whole decent back to basecamp was one of the hardest physical things in my mountaineering life. Decending the last 500meters and climbing over the moraine I repeated singing a song to myself endlessly, to make me go on.

Our regular plans were a summit attack on that day. The weather was looking all right from what we could see the evening before, but I had a strange feeling lying in the tent the evening before. I couldn´t find sleep and watched my altimeter from time to time. It went up 80 meters (the air pressure was falling) within one hour between 22:30 and 23:30 so I woke up my partner Heiko and told him something bad was coming. It took us 5 minutes to decide we should be getting the hell of that mountain and about an hour for packing everything together.

We made it all the way to the basecamp in that night and the following morning. I apprechiated my inspiration, because after arriving at basecamp the storm and rain continued for about two and a half days. After the clouds made up again we could see that only 400meters above basecamp the rain came down as snow. We were happy not still beeing up on that mountain in our tent.

hiltrud.liu

hiltrud.liu - Dec 13, 2006 10:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Tremendous ...

Danke für die ausführliche Erklärung!
Grüße
Hiltrud

Viewing: 1-4 of 4