This hill is the highest point of Cass County in Michigan, and probably only of interest to county highpointers. The summit is actually in a cultivated field, so during growing season it is not appropriate to do this high point. There is a decent view looking south.
Also, note that the best access is via an FAA tower site (unmanned); the high point is just outside the tower grounds. You can hop the low fence and find it with the help of GPS.
The name comes from the named USGS summit Bald Hill. The Cass County High Point summit is ~0.5 miles SW of Bald Hill, and it is actually higher by about 50 feet. Essentially, Bald Hill is a sub-peak of this hill.
Looking out at the high point
Getting to this location is not difficult. It is located in northeastern Cass County, about 10 miles west of a major highway, US-131.
If you are coming from the north:
* Take US-131 south to its intersection with state highway M-216
* Take M-216 west to the town of Marcellus (~9.5 mi)
* Turn left onto state highway M-40 and go south (~4.2 mi)
* Turn right onto Hoffman Road, go west (~1 mi)
* Turn left onto Patterson Hill Road, go south (~2 mi)
* Turn right onto Bald Hill Road, go west (~0.8 mi) to Tower Road
If you are coming from the south:
* Take US-131 north to its intersection with state highway M-60
* Take M-60 west to the town of Jones (~7.7 mi)
* Turn right onto state highway M-40 and go north (~1.5 mi)
* Turn left onto Born Street, go west (~1 mi)
* Turn right onto Patterson Hill Road, go north (~1 mi)
* Turn left onto Bald Hill Road, go west (~0.8 mi) to Tower Road
Go north up Tower Road ~0.4 miles and park outside the gate. Note that this is the SECOND gated access road.
It's private land. The best thing to do would be to get permission from the landowner before hiking.
The owner is James Wiseman, who also owns the nearby Swiss Valley ski area. He can be contacted there, phone (269) 244-5635. (Note that the high point is NOT part of the ski area.) Mr. Wiseman said that access is fine when crops are not growing. I think he would like to be asked for permission.
USGS 7.5 x 7.5: Jones
External LinksCass County High Point entry at Peakbagger
Cass County entry at County Highpointers