Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.67512°N / 112.35553°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8675 ft / 2644 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A short, broad rise covered in brush with Aspen on the north extending to the summit. This bald top allows for incredible views of most of the Southern Pahvant in the company of beautiful wildlife like deer and elk.

Getting There

From the small town of Joseph, take East Main Street west. It turns into Highway 118, then Forest Road 110 (Rockwood Road) west of I-70. Continue straight on this road for about 10.4 miles from I-70. The dirt road is fairly well-maintained as should be passable to most vehicles. At a couple ponds on the south side of Indian Peak, the road forks. Take the right fork onto Forest Road 496 and drive straight for 2 miles. A 1/4 miles after the road turns north, park where the road skirts an aspen grove on the left and a faint, overgrown 4WD branches southeast.

Route

From the side of the dirt road to the west of the hill, take the faint, low-grade 4WD track southeast. The true summit is in the trees to the north of the grand view overlook.

Round-trip Distance: 0.75 miles

Elevation Gain: 170 feet

Red Tape

The start of the hike to the summit is all on USFS land (Fish Lake National Forest). The roads leading to the area go through swaths of private land so obey signage.

When to Climb

Year-round though winter will require snowshoes or skis.

Camping

There are primitive campsites in the area.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pahvant MountainsMountains & Rocks