Bald Mountain (Antrim/Hancock)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.02190°N / 72.0309°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2037 ft / 621 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Vista #5
Classic view from near the summit of Bald Mountain.

Bald Mountain located in the heart of the Monadnock Region is home to a great hiking which a pretty hike along a pond and a nice 180 degree vista of Mount Monadnock the Wapack Range and all other mountains south and east. This mountain is the signature mountain in the DePierrefeu-WIllard Pond Wildlife Sanctuary and is bordered by the beautiful Willard Pond to the east.

The 2.2 mile 900 foot elevation gain loop hike (Tamposi Trail/Bald Mountain Trail/ Tudor Trail) is YDS class 1 with a mixture of gradual to steeper hiking but at no time do you need to go on all fours. What makes this mountain so special is the fact that the mountain is not very crowded unlike other mountains in New Hampshire. I hiked up this mountain on a beautiful weekday and saw absolutely no one on the trail. Also if you choose the complete loop you with walk next to beautiful Willard Pond. If you are looking for a quick hike that is not well known, with good views this one is it. 

Vista #5Classic view from near the summit of Bald Mountain.





Getting There

VIA THE TUDOR/TAMPOSI TRAILHEAD: Take 123 west from Hancock, NH. About 3 miles down the road make a right on Davenport Road (dirt road). One mile down Davenport Road you will see a group of mailboxes and another dirt road on your left. Make a left on that dirt road and take it all the way down until you see a large parking area on your left. The Tamposi Trail with be on the left corner of the parking area while the The Tudor Trail with be on the 100 yards down the road.

Red Tape

No fees. However no pets are allowed due it being a wildlife sanctuary.

Camping

Camping is prohibited. Also you really don't camp here because the hike is very short.

Weather Conditions and Links

This is the best link to weather near Skatutakee Mtn.

Weather in Nearby Hancock

Trail Conditions

Here are some websites that will provided you more information on conditions on Bald Mountain. Focus on all of the information for the lower mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks