Baldy Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
cascadetraveler

cascadetraveler - Sep 3, 2008 11:54 pm Date Climbed: Aug 29, 2008

Great view of western Strawb's  Sucess!

Drove out to John day with Caleb EOC and we did a quick conditioning hike up baldy. We ascended the trail to the first switch back then stairmastered are way to the summit. The summit area is a long prairie like ridge with sweeping views of the western Strawberries. I recommend this hike/climb highly. The setting is gorgeous, great place to watch the sun set.

calebEOC

calebEOC - Jun 12, 2006 6:11 am Date Climbed: Jun 11, 2006

Pine Creek Trail Bushwhack  Sucess!

Dreading the long drive back to Salem I put it off another 5 hours while I hiked this mountain just outside John Day. Lacking a reliable map I hiked the Pine Creek Trail to its first switchback just east of the West Fork of Indian Creek and climbed straight up the hillside to the saddle of the mountain. The view up here surprised me, I expected to be wowed by Strawberry Mt. but the most surprising part was seeing the mountains due south of Baldy for the first time. These mountains are obscured from view by Baldy when traveling highway 26, so I had never really seen them before. Enjoyed exploring the summit meadow, lots of open space up here.
Aug 29 2008 - Hiked again with Larry friday night before starting our multi-day adventure. Up at dusk, out under headlamps.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Baldy Mountain' main page