Barranco de Gamueta

Barranco de Gamueta

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.88781°N / 0.7473°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The normal route to climb Chinebral de Gamueta (2312m) is from Refuge de Linza, it’s the most popular and frequented but another good option is the Barranco (ravine) of Gamueta. If our idea is climb more than a peak of the cirque de Gamueta, especailly the nice Gorreta de los Gabachos (2272m) it's the best option.
Cirque of Gamueta SouthCirque of Gamueta South

Getting There

Summit of Chinebral
3km before the Refuge of Linza we’ll reach the entry of the forest track of Gamueta, closed with barrier.

Route Description

Chinebral de Gamueta
Foya de GamuetaFoya de Gamueta

It exist two options in the beginning:

a)-easiest: we’ll turn to left following the stakes of wood with paint of PR (small itinerary). The path is good and nice in the forest of Gamueta to reach the little hut of Gamueta ( 1650m).

b)-taking the track: it’s very easy in the beginning but the track finish in a point near the river. Crossing the river we’ll follow a path with strong slope in the forest to reach the same hut.

We’ll entry in a little valley to S.E., the Foyas de Gamueta, under the rocky walls of Mallos de Paco Gamueta ( 1994m) in right side (south). The path goes generally in the right side of valley following the cairns of stones to reach the Cirque of Gamueta. In front of us is the evident col of Gamueta (Collado de Gamueta, 2192m). This col is the normal access to Gorreta de los Gabachos (2272m) in right side (south)

Climb to Gorreta de los Gabachos
We'll descent a few of meters near of the ridge in right side. We'll walk in diagonal to right side of the summit searching the channel of access to the summit. Using the hands (easy rock climb, F) we'll reach the summit of Gorreta de los Gabachos (2272m).

Following to Chinebral de Gamueta
We'll return to Collado de gamueta and we’ll turn to left across the wide hillside of Gorreta Norte (2270m ). The access to the col is the hardest part of the roude because the slope is great, specially in winter conditions. We’ll go in north direction near of the edge to climb the summit of Gorreta Norte and, after a little descent, the bottom of Foya de Gamueta (2308m) with a fore-summit (2296m). We’ll walk the rocky west hillside of Foya de Gamueta to his summit with a spectacular view. We’ll returned to the col with Chinebral de Gamueta, descending to left side. We’ll attack the cone summit in the left side, leaving the ridge. After a hard slope with stones we’ll reach the summit of Chinebral de Gamueta ( 2329m).

Descending the West ridge


Options to descent:

a)- easiest: we’ll descent wlking the west ridge of Chinebral (normal route) to reach the col of Plana de Diego (important point of normal route to Acherito) and the little hut of Paso de l’Onso ( 1622m ). In this point we’ll leave the normal route of Linza and we’ll turn to south out of path. It’s a confuse area near of forest and the little river to reach finally after 450m some of the wood’s stakes of the PR of the beginning.

b)- shortest: we’ll descent from the summit to S.W. with important slope (with snow probably the best option is skiing or taking the other route). Reaching the valley we’ll follow to reach the Hut of Gamueta and the route of ascent.

Essential Gear

Nothing in summer.

In winter crampons and ice-axe. The hardest part of the route is the slope of Collado de Gamueta and the use of winter material is necessary with snow.

Another good option in winter is the ski cross county following the normal route or the route signaled as shortest to descent (it's not necessary to reach the Collado de Gamueta)

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.