Barre des Ecrins Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 28
12
Farmer

Farmer - Jul 1, 2023 10:44 am Date Climbed: Jun 28, 2023

Normal route  Sucess!

Great and beautifull mountain, most routes on the north side are getting a bit more difficult because the glacier retrieves. Also quit dangerous because of the seracs that hang over the first third part of the route.

jck

jck - Aug 18, 2019 11:13 pm Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2019

Normal  Sucess!

Took the normal route after a bivy near the Ecrin hut.
Hard ice at the beginning of the glacier and above the bergshrund near the summit of Dome de Niege. The rocky ridge itself was a pure pleasure.

viktor vaughn

viktor vaughn - Jun 1, 2018 6:05 am Date Climbed: Jul 21, 2017

Route climbed: normal route from the Refuge des Ecrins  Sucess!

Great ridge climb. We had quite a few people up there so it took much longer than usual.

boriskrielen

boriskrielen - Feb 6, 2018 8:32 am Date Climbed: Aug 8, 2012

Normal route solo in 1 day up & down  Sucess!

Climbed the normal route solo in 1 day up & down from the parking Pré de Madame Carle (1825m), including Dôme de Neige and Pic Lory.

il.rocciatore

il.rocciatore - Sep 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Route Climbed: Traverse NE Ridge - NW Ridge Date Climbed: september 2012  Sucess!

Although we thoroughly informed for conditions on the NE Ridge, the gardien of the Refuge des Ecrins was still suprised we didn't bring a (second) technical ice axe for the first section on this route. He might as well told us to do that the day before on the phone. So we ended up climbing some 50° ice slopes with just a standard ice axe and 3 ice screws. A number of rope lengths of interesting mixed climbing led to the rocks on the NE Ridge. Rather quick and easy traverse to the Breche Lory.

Cold and windy conditions in the North Face. Limited problems due to loose rock in the lower part of the route. Once on the ridge everything is quite sound.

marc123

marc123 - Sep 16, 2012 1:49 pm Date Climbed: Aug 17, 2012

Nice climb on normal route  Sucess!

A pretty long walk over the glacier and through the seracs. The last stretch was very nice climbing on the exposed ridge. Was wonderful weather, very enjoyable climb.

Bart

Bart - Aug 23, 2012 3:12 am Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2012

Nice route  Sucess!

The ridge is a fun climb; not too difficult but pleasantly exposed. Longer than it looks from below.

WouterB

WouterB - Jul 25, 2012 5:02 am Date Climbed: Jul 22, 2012

In combination with the Dôme de Neige  Sucess!

That ridge is a lot longer than I expected it to be.

Nikman

Nikman - Jun 21, 2012 7:13 am Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2010

Westridge (normal)

After Dome de Neige I had no drive to continue to the icy and snowy Barre, but Sebastian forced a try.

waribana

waribana - May 23, 2012 6:34 am

North face - normal route  Sucess!

First attempt: July 1980.
Went up to refuge des Ecrins after a period of very bad weather. North face covered with over 1 m of fresh snow. No tracks. It took us 5 hours to reach the great serac barrier, where the attempt was abondoned.

Succes in August 1981.
Left overcrowded refuge des Ecrins (Over 300 people for approx. 100 sleeps - reservations were optional at the time)around 3 a.m. Perfect conditions allowed to take the direct (Coolidge) route (steep!). Summit around 7,30 a.m. Outstanding views, as far as the Matterhorn.

Flachlandtiroler - Dec 15, 2011 8:38 am Date Climbed: Aug 3, 2010

West ridge (normal route)  Sucess!

Seems that I've nearly met Sebastian as we spend several days in Ailefroide.
Hut access was in rainy conditions so on the summit day we had fresh snow and only on other team aiming for the main peak. At noon the ridge was the only thing above the clouds, wonderful.

[X] Bird

[X] Bird - Sep 16, 2010 6:58 am Date Climbed: Aug 5, 2010

East ridge in ascent and west ridge in descent  Sucess!

After a failed attempt on the Barre Noir couloir (I did not feel good)we wanted to try the Barre again. The Ecrins hut was fully booked so we went for the Glacier Blanc hut wich added 1,5 hours to the ascent. Decided to go up the normal route (fixed ladder across a crevace!) at first and then turn left under the summit rocks to join the east ridge.
East ridge is AD-, only the climbing to get onto the ridge is tricky, lots of lose rock. Once on the ridge the rock quality is ok. Down climbing the west ridge (PD+) was interesting and airy here and there. Once off the west ridge we also did the Dome des Neige since it is close by.

Then came the long long way down...

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Aug 12, 2010 5:06 am Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2010

west ridge  Sucess!

Woke up at 2.45 a.m. With Nikman from Refuge des Ecrins via the north flank to Dome de Neige and solo via the west-ridge to the main peak. West ridge with snow. Alone on the summit. Very nice climbing. On the descent I have met a friendly austrian couple. Big crevasse in the north flank with a fixed ladder (FUN!)

FrançoisJ

FrançoisJ - Mar 26, 2010 2:34 pm Date Climbed: Aug 4, 1993

Normal route  Sucess!

avec le Doud, Olivier et Ol

barrys

barrys - Aug 11, 2009 3:05 pm Date Climbed: Jun 24, 2008

I'll be back

First saw this mountain in the flesh 15years ago and that started my fascination with mountains. We paid for 3 days of a guides time for a refresher and Neige Cordier beforehand. Wanted to climb straight up the north face above the rimaye. Girlfriend's knee gave in, and got worse and worse, to the point where it was turn back while it was still possible, made it to maybe 3,7 only. Absolutely heartbreaking but I'll be back again!

andrea.it

andrea.it - May 26, 2009 10:41 am Date Climbed: May 24, 2009

Coolidge route  Sucess!

Climbed the north face with Valerio and Sabrina.

mulidivarese

mulidivarese - May 25, 2009 4:12 am Date Climbed: May 24, 2009

Coolidge!  Sucess!

From refuge ecrins by ski to the Dome de Neige.
then back just at the footstep of the Bar, we claimbed by the coolidge direct colouir to the top.
Nice steeped not complicated way up.
Large scenario from the top.
then we came down from the same route without any trouble
Lovely two days
Valerio

Probemeister - Oct 6, 2008 8:15 am Date Climbed: Jul 29, 2008

Normal route, descent direct from Pic Lory  Sucess!

Another classic, from the Glacier Blanc hut, it was a long way!

skileraar

skileraar - Sep 7, 2008 3:59 pm Date Climbed: Jul 12, 2006

Traverse

Returned on 4000m.

Modi

Modi - Mar 2, 2008 7:47 am Date Climbed: Jul 15, 1991

Normal Route  Sucess!

In a very windy day from Refuge des Ecrins with Cesare,Attilio,Alfredo

Viewing: 1-20 of 28
12
Return to 'Barre des Ecrins' main page