Beartooth Absaroka Range

Beartooth Absaroka Range

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing

Black Mountain

Climbing Black Mountain has become a rite of spring for us. Last year we climbed the quite steep left couloir after getting a close up the year before. Great Climbing on a low snow year--get up early as we did experience minor wet slide activity. Excellent, challenging, and fun climbing.

Black MountainBlack Mountain--there are many great routes on this fairly accessible mountain including some great ski lines.



Electric Peak (Gallatin mtns.)

Electric Peak stands tall in the Gallatin's. As it sits largely alone and on the boundary of Yellowstone National Park, the approaches are very long yet still surprisingly popular. I have seen Bull Elk on the false summit in January--tough animals. Two different times I have tried to climb the peak in winter but the distance is difficult for a single day outing. The highlight of Electric Peak was definitely the Southeast Couloir in snow conditions a few springs back....excellent climbing, steep finish, and perfect blue skies.

Electric Peak
Making the final turn to the summit saddle on Electric Peak.

Granite Peak

Granite Peak is more popular than ever. It is a lot of fun to climb with good route finding challenges and a very alpine environment. Our walk in the Froze-to-Death Plateau felt like a lap around the Plaza in a small South American town. (hi how are you guys, did you make it? where are you from?) Lots of climbers. Lots. Nonetheless, A fabulous experience. Use el bano muy lejos and far below the tent and water collection areas!!!!!


Granite PeakA common view of the early morning approach. One thing that does not show is the 40 mph wind that nearly ended our day....it let up to windless on the summit.




Granite PeakThis is the classic view of the upper mountain. When you are there on the route it is much clearer than this.....It is also a lot of fun with interesting scrambling/climbing on good rock.



Summit BlockOf course, the summit shot



Comments

No comments posted yet.