Beasley Flat, AZ

Beasley Flat, AZ

The Verde River is one of Arizona's major perennial rivers and a treasured resource in the central part of the state. Free flowing for most of its length, it provides lush riparian habitat, abundant wildlife, diverse recreational opportunities, and spectacular scenery. The majority of the upper and lower Verde River passes through National Forest land that is open to public recreation of all kinds. Fishing, boating, picnicing, camping, birdwatching and sightseeing are all popular activities. The lower river is designated a Wild and Scenic River and offers the opportunity to fish by boat or raft from Beasley Flat to Childs. Several threatened and endangered species inhabit the aquatic and riparian habitats of the Verde River, including the spikedace (a native minnow), razorback sucker, Colorado pikeminnow, bald eagle, and southwestern willow flycatcher. Resident and migratory birds abound throughout the river and river otter and beavers are occasionally seen. In this area of the river, Fremont cottonwoods and willows line its banks. Natural caves in the limestone walls of Wingfield Mesa were inhabited by Sinagua Indians. (The Sinagua emerged as a distinct culture about A.D.700 and disappeared sometime around A.D.1450, when they abandoned their heartland and retreated to Hopi mesas.) The colour of the limestone in the foreground is PINK. It contains a fair amount of volcanic ash that fell from a nearby volcano. There are several hot springs located further downstream, giving proof to latent volcanic activity in this awesome area. Taken near Camp Verde, Arizona (04-08-2008)
lcarreau
on Apr 14, 2008 11:31 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Flora,  Informational,  Scenery,  Water
Image ID: 396455

Comments

No comments posted yet.