Carpathian Biosphere Reserve

Carpathian Biosphere Reserve

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

Overview

Glacial cirque of Pip Ivan Maramoroskyiglacial cirque of Pip Ivan (Maramaroskyi protected massif)
Blyznytsa summits in winter  (1881m)Blyznytsa summits (1881m)in winter (Svydovetskyi protected massif)

The Carpathian Biosphere Reserve is one of the most important protected areas in Ukraine. It was designated by a decree of the Ukrainian government in 1968. Since 1993 it belongs to the International Network of UNESCO Biosphere Reserves. The Carpathian Biosphere Reserve was awarded by European Diploma in 1997, 2002 and 2007. In 2007 beech primeval forests protected by CBR were listed to the UNESCO World Natural Heritage List.

Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians




The Carpathian Biosphere Reserve is made up of 8 isolated regional units (massifs) located in different districts of Transcarpathia. These represent all the natural and climatic zones of the Ukrainian Carpathians within the reserve. The highest point is Mt.Hoverla (2061 m.a.s.l.)- Ukraine's highest summit. The reserve covers a total area of 53 630 ha.
The highpoint of Ukraine (2061 m)Hoverla (2061m) is the highest summit of Ukrainian Carpathians

Localization of massifs within Carpathian Biosphere ReserveLocalization of massifs within Carpathian Biosphere Reserve
Crocuses with Manchul massifCrocus heuffelianus with Manchul (Shyrokyi Luh protected massif)

External Links

Karst archKarst arch (Uholskyi protected massif)
Hutyn-Tomnatyk (2016m)Hutyn-Tomnatyk and Brebeneskul lake (Chornohirskyi protected massif)
Sunrise with Petros Maramoroskyi (1780m)Petros with sunrise (Maramaroskyi protected massif)
Kuziy massifKuziy protected massif
My movies dealing with isolated protected massifs of the Carpathian Biosphere Reserve are available here:











Comments

No comments posted yet.