Beaver Basin - via Waas-Green saddle

Beaver Basin - via Waas-Green saddle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.53910°N / 109.227°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start at the Beaver Basin area (no real trailhead).

2 miles round trip.
Starting elevation is 10,500

Another approach is to hit the mountain (see map) more Northerly and avoid the saddle.

Route Description


Head Northwest following the drainage to the base of the saddle between Green (to the Left with radio tower) and Waas (to the Right). As you enter the talus/scree a faint trail helps. The climbing up onto the Waas-Green saddle it is steep and short. Once on the saddle, turn east and follow an obvious zigzagging route thru the talus.

Essential Gear


No special gear, just sun screen and water.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
LonePeakFreak

LonePeakFreak - Aug 18, 2013 4:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Beaver Basin "Getting There"

The directions to Beaver Basin on this page are incomplete. These should be helpful: From the turnoff to Castle Valley on Hwy 128 it is approximately 25.8 miles to Beaver Basin. Reset your odometer here. A high-clearance vehicle is required to make it all the way to the Basin. Follow the main road (Mountain Valley Rd.) southward as it gradually gains elevation toward the mountains. The road turns to dirt at approx. 16.2 mi. Stay left as the pavement ends. At 18.4 mi. turn right onto FR 107. At approx. 20.9 mi. take another right, after which you will soon pass a large forest service sign. Continue on this road to a fork at 22.2 mi. Stay right at the fork. After 1/10th of a mile you will see the sign for Don's Lake at another fork. Stay right at this fork, too. At approx. 23.1 mi. the road forks once again, and as before, stay right. At 23.5 mi. the road makes a sharp uphill u-turn to the right. In late July 2013 the top of the turn was narrow and eroded enough to make travel a little uncomfortable. At 23.8 miles you will encounter the roughest section of the road. Very slow going at this point. At 24.8 miles you will come into the first clearing where camping is feasible. Continue down the road the last mile for better campsites at the actual trailhead.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.