Becker Hollow

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.18206°N / 74.19742°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I (steep hiking)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Becker Hollow Route offers the shortest trail up Hunter. It is also the second hardest route to the top and gets very steep near the top.
Lenght (one way)- 2.2
Elevation Gain- 2,210 ft.
Blazes- Blue and Yellow

Getting There

The Trail Head in on State Road 214 on the North side of Stony Clove Notch about 1.3 miles south of NY-23 A.

From the South: Hunter Mountain is located 120 miles north of New York City via New York State Thruway I-87 North to Exit 20, travel North on Route 32 to Route 32A North to 23A West. Travel 10 miles until you see SR-214 on your left.

Also from the south: Take Exit 19 of 1-87 and follow NY-28 to the village of Phoenicia and SR-214 Follow 214 to the TrailHead

From the North: Take I-87 South to Exit 21. Travel East on Route 23 to Route 9W South, then onto 23A West. Travel 22 miles until you see SR-214 on your left.

Route Description

The trail starts near a vehicle barrier and DEC trailbook ( sign in please) and passes through a medow on a old jeep road.
At 0.1 miles the trail enters the forest. Be sure to follow trail markers because there are a few old jeep roads and heard paths that cross the trail. At 0.3 miles you will cross the Becker Brook on a bridge.
At 04 miles you will reach an old concrete dam.
Soon after you will leave the woods road and join a trail. Also after the dam till just after the 2,000 ft elevation line, many small streams that are not on the map cros the trail.
The trail has a moderate grade between 2,00ft and 3,000ft.
At 1.8 miles the 3,500 ft elevation mark is reached. From just before this sign the trail is steep and will remain so untill you are close to the top.
At 1.9 miles there is a trail junction. The Becker Hollow Trail continues straight using a longer path to the summit. The Becker Hollow Connector trail starts on your right and is a short cut to the summit.
The Becker Hollow Trail climbs some short steep pitchs to it's end at 2.1 miles. To reach Hunter's Summit turn right on to the Spruceton trail which reaches the summit in 0.2 miles

Becker Hollow Connector Trail


From the junction at 1.9 miles above the yellow blazed trail decends for a short while to a wet area with a spring. Then the trail follows the contour of the mountain for 0.2 miles and then accends the final 100 to 200 vertical ft to the summit through conifers.

Essential Gear

Standard Dayhike gear for most day's. On hot day's bring extra water because the spring near the top is not reliable. In winter 6-point crampons might be a good idea if the steep sections of trail are icy.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

HunterRoutes