Best Mountaineering Literature Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-18 of 18
MtnGuide

MtnGuide - Jan 6, 2007 2:53 am - Hasn't voted

Addition:

"Mountain of My Fear," by David Roberts, on climbing Mt. Debra and Mt. Hess in The Alaska Range, 1970s.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Jan 6, 2007 4:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Addition:

It's there. The title on my volume was "The Mountain of My Fear" so it's in my "T's."

eza

eza - Sep 10, 2007 10:48 am - Voted 10/10

Another suggestion

"The Endless Knot", by Kurt Diemberger. About the tragedy on K2 in 1996. Couldn't put it down...

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Sep 11, 2007 5:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another suggestion

Muchisimas gracias. I will read it and add it to the list. It sounds great. Thanks for your input.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Dec 12, 2007 2:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another suggestion

I have now read and added "The Endless Knot." Definitely a great contribution to the K2 literature.

Jack - Sep 14, 2014 3:23 am - Hasn't voted

The Rock Climbers by Jack Kantorczyk

The Rock Climbers is about a dangerous expedition as seen through the author’s eyes. That expedition was started in July, 1974 to Pirin Mountains located in southern Bulgaria, to prepare young people for the difficult tasks in their later years, into climbing the highest mountains in the world. As those people might operate later in the stressful climbing conditions they, need to be check their mental usefulness to stay for a long time in the mountain environment during dangerous climbing. The author, in a very interesting way, described the vagaries of natures and difficult crisis situations they had to defeat as well, he described in details about his personal experience during expedition and accompanying him, were his partners. Even the climbing of vertical walls is extremely serious business, and at the moment of climbing, the border between life and death is often very thin, still wins passion, willingness to compete, check themselves and their own possibilities.
Undoubtedly, the book “The Rock Climbers,” is worthy of the attention not only people who are interested of mountains and the climbing thrill, but everyone else who likes story associate with mystery and adrenalin feeling.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Sep 16, 2014 5:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Rock Climbers by Jack Kantorczyk

Thank for that Jack. I'd like to check it out; sounds most fascinating? When was it published?

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Nov 28, 2014 10:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Rock Climbers by Jack Kantorczyk

Jack--I'm reading it right now.

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Oct 19, 2014 7:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Addition

Curran, Jim. K2: The Story of the Savage Mountain. Seattle: The Mountaineers, 1995.

In this book, Curran traces the history of primary ascents and attempted ascents on the Mountain of Mountains. He includes the 1986 disaster. In my opinion, it does for K2 what Harrer’s book, The White Spider, does for the Eiger Nordwand.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Oct 20, 2014 5:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Addition

Hans,

I missed this one. I will add it. Thanks for the input.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Dec 9, 2014 2:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Addition

Added.

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Nov 7, 2014 6:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Yet some more potential additions...

I just finished these two as well...

Bonington, Chris, and Charles Clarke. Tibet’s Secret Mountain: The Triumph of Sepu
Kangri. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1999.

Bonington and Clarke see an unknown and unclimbed mountain in Tibet from an airplane. With their curiosity piqued, they take several expeditions to reconnoiter Sepu Kangri and attempt the summit. The climbing narrative is supplemented by details of their trekking and cultural adventures in Tibet.

Hemmleb, Jochen, and Eric R. Simonson. Detectives on Everest: The 2001 Mallory &
Irvine Research Expedition. Seattle: The Mountaineers Books, 2002.

In 1999 this team found the body of Mallory and wrote about it in Ghosts of Everest. In 2001 they returned to search for Irvine.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Nov 28, 2014 10:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yet some more potential additions...

Thank you very much Hans. When I get some time, I will add these. Appreciate the input.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Dec 9, 2014 2:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yet some more potential additions...

Both added.

Jarek - Dec 18, 2016 2:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Challenge the vertical by Jerzy Kukuczka

I recommend "Challenge the vertical" (previously "My Vertical World" ) written by in my opinion one of the greatest mountaineer in the history - Jerzy Kukuczka. It’s the amazing story of a mountaineer who managed to do great climbs in the Himalaya despite the isolation and poverty of their Soviet-dominated homeland. The reader observes Kukuczka's way to climb on all 14 eight-thousanders, not avoiding his emotional attitude to the mountains, his climbing partners. As I understand his family decided to reedit this publication so it is again available: http://jerzykukuczka.com/en/book-challenge-the-vertical-jerzy-kukuczka-english-my-vertical-world :)

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Feb 4, 2017 1:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Challenge the vertical by Jerzy Kukuczka

Thank you for that recommendation. I'll add it when I get a chance.

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Sep 22, 2017 11:29 am - Voted 10/10

Snow in the Kingdom

Here's another good one I just finished:

Webster, Edward R. Snow in the Kingdom: My Storm Years on Everest. Eldorado Springs: Mountain Imagery, 2000.

This account covers Webster’s four attempts to summit Mount Everest. The most notable being the small 4-man assault on the Kangshung Face up the Neverrest Buttress in 1988. This is the same ascent detailed by Stephen Venables in Everest: Alone at the Summit. Webster’s straight-forward, winsome, and honest book ropes you in, and is chock full of his excellent full-color photography.

(puns intended - Webster is a rock-climber)

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Feb 16, 2019 5:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Only in English?

Are you open to Mountaineering books in other languages besides English or that have not been translated into English?

Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Return to 'Best Mountaineering Literature' main page