Better Late Than Never - Clingmans Dome x 2 2011

Better Late Than Never - Clingmans Dome x 2 2011

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 15, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking

Add Heading Here

[Updated: 05/17/2011] SummitPosters, if you like this report, kindly vote for it, thanks! Check my profile for all my state highpoint reports.

Note to highpointers: you want to check This Seasonal Clingmans Road Condition page before you plan your trip. It's generally Apr 1 - Nov 30, but... (see picture below taken on May 27th,2010! )

So the temporary road repair back in 2010 put back my agenda to nab Clingmans dome in my 3-day, 6-mountain trip... I arranged my hikes so tight that there was really no time to walk up the 7.5 miles one-way road to get to the summit...so here I am, one year later, try to get on top of the Great Smokey Mtns again.

It should be no problem for you to find this seaonal road, the drive itself is quite enjoyable, make sure you spend some time enjoy the views.

Photobucket

'Your tax dollar at work 2010 project', well I thought I was pretty sure the road opens on Apr 1st, so I didn't do any further research...

Well this is part of the fun of state highpointing, you can't always get what you want, you just have to come back and try again.


Photobucket
The AT sign near the summit tower. There are five 0.1 mile signs along the 0.5-mile paved hiking path to the summit, very nice.


Photobucket

When I finally saw this tower in person, it was such a relief...

It wasn't totally smooth this time neither, bad weather, running seriously low on gas(!), don't have my higpointing partner, hungry and tired and ran the last 0.5 miles uphill...overall it was an very rewarding experience.

The picture doesn't do justice, it's a very cool tower with spiral passageway, very impressive


Photobucket

Climbed half way and looking back.

Photobucket

Finally on the top.

Photobucket

Not too much view on the top.

Photobucket

Tired and hungry after the 1.5 day, 1000-mile drive. I then drove to Cherokee, NC for a big McDonald breakfast.

Photobucket

Great Somky Moutain...

Photobucket

Not a bad drive...

My second attempt to Clingmans Dome is a sucess, Great Smoky Mountains is a beautiful area but be prepared the constantly changing weather, always bring a long jacket with you!



Comments

No comments posted yet.