Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 41.17735°N / 111.92965°W
Additional Information County: Weber
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5200 ft / 1585 m

OVERVIEW

 
Trail Into Beus Canyon
Trail into Beus Canyon
Beus trailhead, at the top of Ogden's 46th street, is a USFS trailhead and a primary trailhead for attempting Mt Ogden from the west. Surprisingly, there isn't usually too much traffic on the trail even though it is close to the city. Compared to Strong and Waterfall, the area is normally empty; it's a nice place to hike. Normally, you will only encounter a hiker or two most nights. There is a stream (cleverly named "Beus Stream") that runs along the trail for the 1st 2 miles.

The canyon is named after an early Mormon family of Italian immigrants which farmed the area in the mid-1800s.

Beus Trailhead area is prime for summer hiking as the forest tends to be about 10 degrees cooler than the city. Fall trips offer some pretty spectacular tree coloring. The trail gets plenty of traffic during the winter and you shouldn't need snowshoes on the lower portion of the trail. Spring comes a little later to Beus than the rest of Ogden because of the natural shading of the forest; expect snow to be present thru April.

GETTING THERE

From I-15, take exit 341 toward 31st St, follow signs for Weber State University. After 1.2 miles merge onto UT-79 E/31st St. Turn right at US-89 S/S Washington Blvd. Turn left at 40th St. Continue onto Country Hills Dr. Turn right at S 1200 E St/Harrison Blvd. Turn left at E 4600 S. E 4600 S turns slightly right and becomes S 1900 E. Destination will be on the left.

In general, you head toward Weber State, get on Harrison Blvd, head south until you reach 4600, turn east toward the mountain, Beus Trailhead is at the top of 4600.

THE TRAILHEAD

The trailhead doesn't have water or bathroom facilities. There is parking for about 10 vehicles but doesn't have much space for horse trailers. No motor vehicles are allowed on the trails but watch out for mountain bikes. The Info Kiosk has a poster map of the area and some historical info about the trail.

FAUNA AND FLORA

Despite being very near Ogden, Beus is full of wildlife. I've been nearly ran over by moose twice, seen bobcat tracks, been attacked by a rabid squirrel and had the bejeusus scared out of me by wild turkeys and grouse. And, of course, keep an eye out for rattlesnakes. Bugwise, Beus isn’t too bad; some minor mosquitoes, noseeums, and flies…nothing that would make you wear a head net. There are wasps near the small waterfall but they tend toward non-violence.

The trail is heavily forested with Gambel oak, Canyon Maples and Aspen for the first 2 miles. After that, you will reach a massive fern field that goes for about a 1/2 mile (no kidding, this looks like Jurassic Park in the summer--bring a machete). The trail then turns to stunted Gambel Oak for the rest of the trip up Mt Ogden.

OKAY... WHERE DOES IT GO?

 
The Beus Crossroad
Cross Road 1/2 Mile up Canyon
Beus trailhead is the principle trailhead for DeMoisy and Ogden peaks from the west. The sign at the trailhead says it is 6.1 miles to Ogden peak. It is also the southern-most terminal to the Ogden portion of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (BST)--after that point heading south, the BST is mostly road walking until you reach Davis County.

From the trailhead, at.5 mile, the trail will split (marked by a sign).

The left fork will take you to the BST and all points north. Approximately 1 mile along the trail, there is a bench with a nice overlook of Ogden. Keep your eyes out for mountain bikers along the BST and the lower portion of trail (before the fork). Continuing to follow the BST you will reach Strong Canyon (about 1.25 miles), Waterfall Canyon (about 2.5 miles) and the trail for Malan Peak (3.25 miles)

If you continue on the right fork across the small foot bridge for 5.6 miles, you will reach the top of Mount Ogden and the Great Western Trail. At approximately 1 mile up you will reach a small waterfall (about 20 foot) that is a natural place to take a nice, cool break.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.