Big Horn Peak (Bells Peak)

Big Horn Peak (Bells Peak)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 12, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Climbing Big Horn peak (Bells Peak)

JWill and I started on the trail head (5399 ft) at 9:00 am with our starting point being the end of Aspen Drive in Alpine, Utah. This trailhead is more commonly used to access Lone Peak by way of the 1st and 2nd Hammongog as well as hiking to Lake Hardy.

We started on the dirt road heading towards the 1st Hammongog. This road is full sun exposure so an earlier start is always better, unless you like chugging your water in the first hour of your hike. Once you arrive to the 1st Hammongog (7011 ft) take the trail heading west (the left) this will take you to the second Hammongog. The trail to the right (east) will take you to Lake Hardy or the North Mountain Trail #042.

As you continue to the 2nd Hammongog (8320 ft) the trail heads west and then bends back around the mountain heading east into a nice valley of pines and granite boulders, great camping spot. Head through the valley here and take the right trial (sign is down as of this post) which is the Lake Hardy Trail. Going Left will take you across a stream and then you will head west on the Hammongog Trail #187 and end up in Draper.

Taking the trail on the right will take you heading NE. It climbs steeply though low growing brush until you hit a strange large rock 9472 ft, worthy of some bouldering, if you have the skills. From here you are rewarded of some nice views of Box Elder Peak and Mount Timpanogos.

From the rock follow the trail and hike about five more minutes and you will see the ridge heading up to Big Horn Peak (Bells Peak). From here it is 1415 ft of more feet of hiking. This is the steepeset part of the hike. It goes quickly as you pick your way through the rocks to the summit. There is no false summit on this one. Your goal is a large granite rock that looks like a huge 20ft chiclet. Expect solitude and great views of the surrounding peaks.

Summit elevation :: 10877 ft


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1

urlstevens - Aug 23, 2010 3:30 pm - Voted 9/10

Big Horn & Lake Hardy

One of my favorite hikes - - Big Horn (or "Hogs Back") - - followed by a quick trip to Lake Hardy for lunch and water.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1