Big Lookout Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
ericnoel

ericnoel - Sep 9, 2022 8:35 pm Date Climbed: Sep 9, 2022

Big Lookout  Sucess!

Roadwalk

Paul McClellan

Paul McClellan - Jul 15, 2016 4:50 pm Date Climbed: Jun 8, 2016

First visit to the area  Sucess!

Drove Lookout Mountain Road from I-84 to the locked summit road gate. Parked about 1/4 mile north since another car was parked there. Pleasant road hike to the summit. Great views of surrounding country from the summit.

scgrant

scgrant - Oct 23, 2015 10:15 pm Date Climbed: Aug 21, 2015

Big Lookout  Sucess!

Along with Cuddy Mountain, Id. while on my way out to the Seattle area. Nice quick hike up the service road from the locked gate. Good enough road leading up to that point.

Dundeel

Dundeel - May 26, 2015 12:47 am Date Climbed: May 25, 2015

Road Walk  Sucess!

Drove both access routes. North route not for cars and more navigation needed.

Midlife Mountaineer

Midlife Mountaineer - Mar 29, 2015 6:15 pm Date Climbed: Mar 28, 2015

First Tracks  Sucess!

Had to park 5 miles fom the gate due to snow drifts. Lots of snow on the switchbacks on the peak. I may have been the first one to summit in 2015. Awesome views.

boisedoc

boisedoc - Oct 19, 2014 1:41 pm Date Climbed: Oct 19, 2014

from the gate  Sucess!

I was looking for something to do in half a day from Boise. I drove to the gate and hiked up from there. The hike took about 45 minutes total. The road is not bad other than a lot of washboarding. Great views including Wallowas, Blues, Seven Devils, Cuddy mountains and even Schafer Butte near Boise.

jyancey

jyancey - May 8, 2014 10:45 pm Date Climbed: May 4, 2014

Fire lookout tower  Sucess!

Glissading... Check.

climbed with idahomtmhigh->

idahomtnhigh

idahomtnhigh - May 4, 2014 8:54 pm Date Climbed: May 4, 2014

Great views  Sucess!

Have been driving past this mountain for years, and thinking I need to make a trip up. Had a bunch of extra time after a business trip to Twin Falls, so I told my coworker that we were going for it. Was able to drive to the gate through some remaining snow on the road and cut out a few down trees on the road. Climbed straight up the eastern ridge since most of the road was covered in snow. Great views on a very clear day, and an even more fun glissade back down to the truck.

Nick Turtura

Nick Turtura - Sep 29, 2013 9:34 pm Date Climbed: Sep 29, 2013

Nice Summit  Sucess!

The road in was quite rough with a lot of washboard. Ran into a lot of hunters. The gate was open so I went ahead and drove right up to the top. Nice summit.

calebEOC

calebEOC - Jun 7, 2009 9:34 pm Date Climbed: Jun 7, 2009

Cloudy Day  Sucess!

Drove out here from John Day where I picked my dad up to go with me. It was both our 1st times in this area, very beautiful, lots of relief change here as the mountain drops right down into the snake river canyon. Did Snow Mountain in the Ochocos the previous day, and with Big Lookout makes 18 of the 20 eastern oregon P2K's done.

BSPclimber

BSPclimber - Sep 30, 2008 12:53 pm Date Climbed: Sep 26, 2008

On bike  Sucess!

Hike-a-biked up the road from the gate. Hazy at the top, but would be a great view when clear. 30 minutes up, 5 and a half back to the car.

Dean

Dean - Dec 16, 2005 7:43 pm

Route Climbed: Date Climbed: Sep 24, 2004  Sucess!

Bob Bolton, Dennis Poulin and I were chasing Oregon prominence peaks, and this one ranks #16, so we went after it. The road was gated so we walked up cross country (avoiding the road where possible) as much as we could in 100 degree heat. Some great views from the top of this rather well equipped lookout. About a mile hike up and about 900 feet of elevation gain from where we parked.

mrh

mrh - Dec 16, 2005 7:38 pm

Route Climbed: northeast ridge Date Climbed: June 8, 2004  Sucess!

Drove from the south and parked at the gate to the summit access. Walked it to where it first switched back on the northeast flank of the cone, then followed the northeast ridge to the summit. Descended down the southeast ridge to the parking spot. This mountain is isolated and the highest thing around so the views are extensive in all directions.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Big Lookout Mountain' main page