Big Schloss Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
pingzingr

pingzingr - Jun 1, 2020 8:15 am Date Climbed: May 4, 2020

Nice hike  Sucess!

Good hike with not a lot of people. Go during the week (went on a Monday).

islandborn11

islandborn11 - Aug 16, 2019 11:58 pm Date Climbed: Jul 27, 2019

Cool part of a circuit trainking hike.  Sucess!

Planned to jet up here on a Sunday afternoon and blast out a circuit hike to prep for a trip out west to see my sister and do some climbing. Knocked out a twelve mile circuit hike in almost cloudless skies through mountain meadows teeming with wildflowers, bees, and butterflies. It was hot and a little crowded at the top as people tend to stay up there for hours sometimes, but still an awesome hike with strenuous sections, and great views.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Jul 28, 2016 8:48 pm Date Climbed: Jul 25, 2016

12-mile loop  Sucess!

Great cliffs, one of the best views I've seen in Virginia, maybe second only to Old Rag. Plan to return with rope next time.

bmhiker

bmhiker - Mar 22, 2015 9:20 pm Date Climbed: Mar 22, 2015

Route Climbed: From Wolf Gap Campground Date Climbed: 3/22/2015  Sucess!

--Start the hike at Wolf Campground
--Great Hike with good views of the valley below.

hightinerary

hightinerary - Dec 14, 2014 7:17 pm Date Climbed: Dec 14, 2014

Overdue  Sucess!

I'd been meaning to see Big Schloss for years. I did a 12-mile loop, including Mill Mountain, approaching Big Schloss from the north. Very scenic.

Pete Castricone

Pete Castricone - Jun 1, 2013 1:04 am Date Climbed: May 31, 2013

From Pond Run  Sucess!

Long sweaty hike from Pond Run (~16 miles RT).

tioga

tioga - Jun 20, 2011 8:59 am Date Climbed: Jun 18, 2011

Big Day  Sucess!

Did a 12.5 mile round trip hike, starting by going up the Stony Creek Trail. Crossed over to the Mill Mountain Trail and then made our way back to Big Schloss. We couldn't stay long at the top because thunderstorms drove us from the summit and back to our car.

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Mar 26, 2011 8:58 pm Date Climbed: Mar 20, 2011

A Good Plan B  Sucess!

I had originally planned to drive up Forest Road 66 in the Massanutten Mountains, park, and hike to Signal Knob and Meneka Peak. I knew that March 20th was after the third Monday of March when the dirt roads were supposed to reopen.

Much to my chagrin, I realized that I had been looking at the 2010 calendar. So, I drove over to the Massanutten Mountains to Great North Mountain and parked my car at Wolf Gap. The hike to Big Schloss was pleasant, and there were good views in nearly every direction from the summit.

It seemed like everyone was out hiking with their dog that day. I ended up talking to a guy I met on the summit, and it looks like he'll make a good hiking partner.

MtMtnHiker

MtMtnHiker - Mar 16, 2011 10:16 pm Date Climbed: Feb 24, 2001

Solo winter trip  Sucess!

Did an overnight backpacking loop starting at Wolf Gap. Big Schloss was cool, reminded me of a castle.

builttospill

builttospill - Jan 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Wolf Gap  Sucess!

Started from Wolf Gap as part of a backpacking trip my senior year of high school with three friends. We got to watch a control burn from the summit, which was pretty cool.

After getting home, I drove to Pennsylvania for a 3 day solo kayaking trip on the Clarion River. That was my first solo trip in the woods--a fun spring break!

Buz Groshong

Buz Groshong - Feb 12, 2007 2:47 am

Done it many times  Sucess!

A great hike. I like to do it as a shuttle starting at Wolf Gap and going up to Big Schloss, then on to Half Moon Overlook and down to the Trout Run Road.

rickford

rickford - Aug 19, 2005 11:21 am

Route Climbed: normal Date Climbed: numerous times  Sucess!

Have hiked in all seasons. One of my favorite places to hike in the area. Although, there are some crowds, it is not nearly as crowded as something like Old Rag- which has similar views.

SteveinFXBG - Jun 19, 2005 10:44 pm

Route Climbed: Mill Mountain Trail from Wolf Gap Date Climbed: February 28, 2004  Sucess!

I did this one on a mild winter day that was perfect for a hike. The climb up to the ridge line from Wolf Gap was a bit slippery, but the hiking was easy after that. There were many others out enjoying the day. The views were incredible. I definately recommend hiking this one in the winter due to the lack of haze.

mutant1

mutant1 - Jun 19, 2005 12:11 pm

Route Climbed: Mill Mountain Trail Date Climbed: 06/18/005  Sucess!

A cool day in mid-June! A 4 PM start with very few people on the trail. Only saw 3 parties and had the summit to ourselves. Much more impressive than I expected.

CharlesD

CharlesD - Apr 30, 2005 10:22 am

Route Climbed: Mills Mountain trail to Wolf Gap RA Date Climbed: October 2001  Sucess!

Amazing place and totally anomalous for the Appalachians. Very reminiscent of the quartzite fins of Pendleton county, WV farther west. We hiked up to the top after a couple days of backpacking Great North Mountain and were shocked by the number of hikers out enjoying the fine fall weather. Much scrambling about ensued and we finally departed much refreshed for the real world. Most impressive view in Virginia (though not West Virginia!).

vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 29, 2005 4:04 pm Date Climbed: Nov 6, 2004

Route Climbed: From Wolf Gap Campground Date Climbed: Nov 2004

-- Nov 6, 2004 -Short fun hike, with great outlooks. It's also a popular and well know hike, so expect to see other people and somethings people with dogs!

-- Must have down this hike at least 4 other times between 1998 and 2004, but likely more.

-- June 1998 First time. Even camped up on the top, under the stars, and bats kept flying over me all night.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Big Schloss' main page