Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.07390°N / 71.92°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 27, 2001
View east off of the summit...


Black Mtn.
March 27th, 2001
5.5 miles (from unplowed area)
2830 ft.


I was very lucky hiking today. The night before it had snowed about four inches until turning into ice. During the morning, it had become so foggy that even the thought of going on a hike seemed stupid. If I was by myself on this hike I never would gone. Luckily for one of rare times in my New Hampshire wilderness experiences I had a hiking partner. A friend of mine, a local who works with me told me about a trail that started fairly close to where he lived. He knew of my interest in hiking and took me up on the trip.

The trip started out on a snow-covered dirt road. Quickly I discovered the use of snowshoes on this trail. Without them I would have dead in the first mile. The ground was covered with about four inches of fresh wet snow. My friend and I made good time on this dirt road. In about a mile the dirt road started to become the real trail. The trail up to the top was steady but nothing to precariously steep. Every time the trail started to become tiring it would level off providing a nice break. We barely needed a break, and that was just for water.

Soon we made to the top. Despite the foul, raw day, the view from the top of Black Mtn. was great. The whole Connecticut River Valley could be seen to the west while cloud covered Mt. Mooselauke and Mt. Kinsman could be seen to the easy. I would have loved to see this view on a clear day. I love look ing down at the rocks below from the summit rocks. What a beautiful mountain.

My friend's feet were getting really cold due to the fact that he was wearing normal socks and no snowshoes. He ran down the mountain as quickly as he could so that his feet wouldn’t get frostbite. I decided to let him go and made my own pace back. Though easily burned me down the mountain (2.75 miles in 31 minutes) I didn’t do too bad (2.75 miles in 50 minutes). Overall yet another fun hike in the White Mountains.






Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.