Boat Nectar (5.6, 2 Pitches)

Boat Nectar (5.6, 2 Pitches)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a fun 2-pitch route with mostly easy climbing and a walkoff. The first pitch is trad, and the second is bolted. Although the route is shorter than a full 60 or 70 rope length, don't try this as one pitch; the rope drag would be horrible.

 

Base of Boat Nectar
Base of Boat Nectar

Getting There

Park at a pullout approximately 0.25 mi south of the Buckhorn Wash Pictograph Panel. It's on the north side of the road, and there's a nice campsite there with a fire ring and a picnic table.

There are several ways to approach from the north, and you'll have to map those options for yourself. From the south, the best way is to exit I-70 at Exit 131 and follow the frontage road east until it bends north and becomes a dirt road.
 
Except in wet conditions, this road is passable to most vehicles.
 

Route Description

P1-- Lieback a flake or climb a finger crack to gain a ledge. The MP page suggests that the finger crack is at the grade and that the flake is a little easier; we thought the finger crack looked quite a bit harder than 5.6, and my partner led via the flake. After gaining the ledge, head right and then stem or chimney your way onto the main wall. Clip 2 glue-ins on your way to chain anchors.

P2-- To avoid rope drag, scramble up to the big ledge above and belay from there. My partner was uneasy about the scramble, so I provided a belay. Follow 4 glue-ins, and the easiest path is often well to the right, to a 3-bolt anchor.
 
Start of Boat Nectar
Start of Boat Nectar
Alternate Start of Boat Nectar
Alternate Start of Boat Nectar
Boat Nectar P1
Boat Nectar P1
Boat Nectar P2
Boat Nectar P2
 
 
After topping out, wander along the steepening slabs until you find one of at least two ways to get back down (my partner and I took different paths based on our comfort with exposure.
 

Essential Gear

Because P1 meanders, go out with at least a 50. Since only P1 takes gear, you can go with a single set of cams. My partner placed a #4, and there were spots for a #5 and #6 had we brought them.

 



Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.