Bolan Lookout from Althouse Mtn. Bolan Lake from the summit
The present lookout that is in place on Bolan Mountain
was built in 1953 and the style that it was built in is one of the last remaining of it's kind.
The lookout is fairly small (14 x 14) and is designed to hold only one or two people, but you can reserve for up to four. It is generally available from July 12th - September 30th.
It is not recommended for families with small children or toddlers to it's location and the drop offs located around it's circumference.
Getting ThereGetting to the Ranger Station to pick up keys
From Grants Pass, OR
- Follow US-199 S for approximately 29 miles and the ranger station will be on your right hand side. The address is 26568 Redwood Highway.
From Crescent City, CA
- Get onto Highway 101 North for a little over 3 miles and then merge onto US-199 N for approximately 48 miles. The Ranger station will be on your left hand side.
From the Ranger Station you will travel seven miles south of Cave Junction and turn east onto Waldo Rd (Note:
Waldo Rd. will not necessarily be 7 miles from the ranger station). Follow this road for 5 miles until you reach a stop sign located at an intersection. Continue straight onto Happy Camp Rd for another 12.5 miles. You will reach the crest of the hill and will see a Bolan Lake Campground sign. Follow this road that is off to your left. It will be Road 4812. At this point it would be a good idea to set your trip odometer to keep track of miles driven.
Follow Road 4812 for 1.8 miles, there will be a couple of roads veering off along the way, but stay on the main road. When you reach the 1.8 mile mark you will want to stay to the right side of the road which goes slightly downhill. Drive for another 2.4 miles until you reach another intersection that will have a sign pointing you to Bolan Lake Campground. Follow this road for another 1.1 miles until you reach Road 535. Follow this road to the right for 1.6 miles until you reach the lookout. THIS ROAD IS GATED!! ACCESS IS ONLY ALLOWED TO THOSE WHO ARE RENTING THE LOOKOUT TOWER OVERNIGHT. YOU MUST HAVE A KEY TO ENTER. IT IS CLOSED DURING THE WINTER.
- Per Reservation
, which need to made 10 days in advance.
- $40/night (5 day maximum stay)
- 4 people
- 1 Table, 2 chairs, 1 person bed, 1 footstool, 1 broom, 1 fire extinguisher. (All persons staying will need to bring their own utensils for eating and will need to bring their own camp stove if cooking hot food)
NO WATER AVAILABLE
- Be sure to bring what you need unless you want to hike to the lake, filter it, and then hike back up.
- Outhouse is available down the steps from the lookout.
High Clearance Vehicle Recommended
- Not Allowed
Contact InformationIllinois Valley Ranger District
26568 Redwood Hwy
Cave Junction, OR 97523
Weather ConditionsSNOW CONDITIONS
Click the Satellite picture for a video loop of current weather