Box Elder Peak via Deep Canyon

Box Elder Peak via Deep Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 12, 2010
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Box Elder Peak via Deep Canyon

As already known, the Deep Canyon route to the Box Elder Peak in the Wellsville range is the longest one. However, the ridge-walking experience that it offers is simply spectacular. The vegetation in the Deep Canyon appeared to me to be much more dense than last year (about the same time), which is probably due to the rains in May. It took me about 1 hr. 40 min. to get to the ridge from the trailhead (3.2 miles), and then its all ridge-walking. For most part of the trail, one has spectacular views of both sides of the range: the Cache Valley and the benches of the Bear River Range to the east, and the Salt Lake Valley with the agricultural fields to the west. I also spotted a grazing Moose about a mile south of the junction with the Coldwater Canyon trail. The other peaks on the ridge make this route very challenging, as one experiences significant elevation gains and losses over short stretches of the trail. All in all, I think the longest and the most arduous route to the Box Elder Peak is definitely worth it.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Box Elder PeakTrip Reports