Brünstelkopf

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5951 ft / 1814 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Brünstelkopf is a hidden champion within Ammergauer Alpen. Hidden, because the mountain is not very prominent and a bit lower than the surrounding summits and peaks. Champion, because it is not a wellknown hiking summit and thus a more lonely outing within the well known and frequented Ammergauer Alpen and because there are several traverse options for good hikers.

Brünstelkopf, two trailheads and adjacent peaks as seen from above Kuhflucht
Brünstelkopf, two trailheads and adjacent peaks as seen from above Kuhflucht

Brünstelkopf is located in the easternmost part of Ammergauer Alpen. To the north, linked with a ridge, there is well known Notkarspitze, to the west, equally linked with a ridge, you find Großer Zunderkopf and Vorderer Felderkopf. To the south you find Kramer or Kramerspitz, separated by Enningalm valley.

Brünstelkopf has two summits, an eastern one with a summit cross, logically called Brünstelkreuz (Brünstel summit cross), illogically, too, called Herrentisch (mens desk) in some older topographic maps, and a western one with a nice little summit meadow.

Vorderer Felderkopf, Notkarspitze (right behind) and the low rock ridge of Brünstelkopf as seen from Hirschbichl
Vorderer Felderkopf, Notkarspitze (right behind) and the low rock ridge of Brünstelkopf as seen from Hirschbichl
Brünstelkopf (extreme right) hides among the other Ammergau peaks, as seen from Wank summit
Brünstelkopf (extreme right) hides among the other Ammergau peaks, as seen from Wank summit

Which brings us to the denomination Brünstel. It derives from the german Brunst or Brunft, which means rut. In late autumn you will always hear some stags being in their rut season and their low rumbling calls sound intimidatingly across the slopes and ridges of the area.

Getting There

The general approach by car is

  • from Munich using highway A 95 to its end and continuing on road number B 2.

For trailheads Ettaler Sattel and Graswang:

  • turn on road number B 23 at Oberau and follow the road up to Ettaler Sattel. There is a hiker parking area (fee required) at the col on the left hand side of the road.
  • for Graswang continue on B 23 through the village of Ettal and turn left after the village on road number St2026 until you reach Graswang. Turn left on Schattenwaldweg where the hiker parking area is indicated.

For trailhead Farchant follow road B 2 to the road junction for Farchant. Enter the village and turn right on the road Am Gern and then Spielleitenweg until you reach the parking area left of the road.

For trailhead Pflegersee follow road number B 2 to the end of the long road tunnel and follow the indication for Garmisch (road B 23). Enter Garmisch and turn right at the Grandhotel Sonnbichel and right again on Pflegerseestrasse. Follow this road until you reach Pflegersee hiker parking area.

Notkarspitze (center) and rather hidden Brünstelkopf (left below) as seen from Kramerspitz summit
Notkarspitze (center) and rather hidden Brünstelkopf (left below) as seen from Kramerspitz summit
Estergebirge (left), Karwendel range (background center) and part of eastern Wetterstein range (right) with Garmisch-Partenkirchen as seen from Brünstelkreuz
Estergebirge (left), Karwendel range (background center) and part of eastern Wetterstein range (right) with Garmisch-Partenkirchen as seen from Brünstelkreuz

Public transportation

  • Farchant can be reached directly by railroad. It is about 800 meters from the railway station to the trailhead.
  • For trailhead Ettaler Sattel: next railroad station is Oberau. Busses number 9606 and 9607 go to bus stop Ettal Am Berg, about 350 meters north of the trailhead.
  • For trailhead Graswang next railroad station is at Oberammergau. Bus number 9622 goes to bus stop Graswang / Gröblalm, about 100 m from the trailhead.

 

Routes Overview

There are four main trailheads for Brünstelkopf and two traverse routes to mention:

Trailhead Farchant: Hikers parking area Spielleitenweg

Trailhead Pflegersee: Hikers parking area Pflegersee

Trailhead Graswang: Hikers parking area Schattenwald

Trailhead Ettal: Hikers parking area Ettaler Sattel

Brünstelkopf as seen from the ascent to Giessenbachsattel
Brünstelkopf as seen from the ascent to Giessenbachsattel
Beautiful view from the east ridge to Brünstelkopf above Giessenbachsattel
Beautiful view from the east ridge to Brünstelkopf above Giessenbachsattel

From trailhead Farchant:

Follow Spielleitenweg road to a childrens playground at a nice small waterfall. Ascend the left hand trail zigzagging up and crossing some forest roads. Follow the signs to Giessenbachsattel and hike up the east ridge of Brünstelkopf to Brünstelkreuz summit and the western main summit.

From trailhead Pflegersee:

Follow the forest road into the valley of Lahnenwiesgraben. After that take the left hand forest road and follow it up to Giessenbachsattel. The east ridge trail goes up to the Brünstelkreuz and Brünstelkopf main summit.

From trailhead Graswang:

Cross the Linder creek and follow the forest road for a good time up to Kuhalm service hut and to the end of the forest road.

Alternatively follow Linder creek until you arrive at Dickelschwaig forest service center. Enter the woods and follow the trail climbing up Kühalpenbach valley to the Kuhalm service hut. Join the forest road and follow it to its end.

A trail branches off there to the left and goes up to Hasenjöchl col between Brünstelkopf and Notkarspitze. Follow the north ridge trail up to Brünstelkopf.

Ascending the east ridge to Brünstelkopf
Ascending the east ridge to Brünstelkopf
Brünstelkreuz, the cross summit of Brünstelkopf
Brünstelkreuz, the cross summit of Brünstelkopf

Trailhead Ettaler Sattel:

At the parking area take the left hand forest road and follow it into Giessenbach valley. A trail starts at the end of the road, crosses Giessenbach and zigzags up in the direction of Giessenbachsattel. Your reach the col on another forest road. Turn right there and follow the east ridge trail to the summits.

Traverse route 1:

Ettaler Sattel trailhead – Notkarspitze – Hasenjöchl col – Brünstelkopf and Brünstelkreuz – Giessenbachsattel – Giessenbach valley – trailhead.

Brünstelkopf main summit as seen from Brünstelkreuz, Vorderer Felderkopf in the background
Brünstelkopf main summit as seen from Brünstelkreuz, Vorderer Felderkopf in the background
Kramerspitz and Wetterstein range / Zugspitze as seen from Brünstelkopf
Kramerspitz and Wetterstein range / Zugspitze as seen from Brünstelkopf

Traverse route 2:

This is an extension of my route “The Directors cut or the Ammergau Seven Summits” SP user mvs did it once and called it “the extended version”.

Instead of ascending directly and partly off-trail to the col between Brünstelkopf and Großer Zunderkopf you follow the trail up to Hasenjöchl col, climb Brünstelkopf via the north ridge and continue on the Bünstelkopf west ridge trail to the above mentioned col between our summit and Großer Zunderkopf. About one hour longer than my version and thus a veeerrryyyy looooong day!

Red Tape & Accommodation

The German part of Ammergau Alps is a protected area (Naturpark Ammergauer Alpen)

There are no entrance fees or permissions required.

Please follow the below indicated rules:

National Park Rules
National Park Rules

 

Ammergau Alps contain many rare plant species, please respect them. Take nice pictures and let them grow.

Hiking from Brünstelkreuz to the main summit
Hiking from Brünstelkreuz to the main summit

Accommodation:

Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Farchant

Ettal

Graswang

 

No mountain huts existing around Brünstelkopf

Gear & Mountain Condition

Brünstelkopf is mainly a hiker summit. Good shoes and hiking gear is sufficient.

The two mentioned traverse options are long hiking outings and require a bit of stamina.

Weather condition:

Valley weather (Farchant):

Mountain weather (Nortkarspitze):

Maps

Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen, scale 1 : 25.000

number BY 7, Ammergebirge Ost, Pürschling, Hörnle

edition 2009, with trails and UTM grid

Summit meadow of Brünstelkopf with (from left to right) Vorderer Felderkopf, Großer Zunterkopf, Frieder, Ammergauer Kreuzspitze, Kienjoch, Kieneckspitze
Summit meadow of Brünstelkopf with (from left to right) Vorderer Felderkopf, Großer Zunterkopf, Frieder, Ammergauer Kreuzspitze, Kienjoch, Kieneckspitze
Notkarspitze and, left, Hansenjöchl col as seen from Brünstelkreuz
Notkarspitze and, left, Hansenjöchl col as seen from Brünstelkreuz

Topographische Karte, scale 1 : 50000,

number UK 50-50

Werdenfelser Land, Ammergebirge

Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation, München