Brothers Set High Goals in Colorado and Beyond

Brothers Set High Goals in Colorado and Beyond

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

It's a long way to go...


Setting goals gives a Colorado boy like me something to live for. My goal is to climb (and sometimes ski when it is sane) every peak over 13,580 feet in my fair state, a total of 200 benchmarks. I think I’m young at just under thirty-three, but my knee tinges with every upward step I take in the mountains. Yet I persist toward my goal, as long as there is open space in the mountains, there is sanity.
Lone climber looks out over Grizzly Peak 13,988 Grizzly Peak 13,988:img.

My original goal was set in stone; 1991 on the summit of 14,150 foot Mount Sneffels . My elder brother Dirk and I swore to summit all fifty-four of Colorado ’s 14,000’ peaks together. There were five-hundred Coloradoans to accomplish the feet in that time. I thought it would take forever. I was right and I love it! Every peak has been reached ceremoniously together; our toes on the highest rock topped with a jubilant high five. It’s serious stuff.

Since the birth of our goal Dirk gradually took on a real world existence…escalating corporate job, faithful wife, challenging children, otherwise known as American standardization; accompanied by less time for adventure with little brother Sephie.

Don’t get me wrong, Dirk is my inspiration for the my mountain goals and even my entrepreneurial foray into outdoor business with Loki Outerwear. Dirk is a patented inventor is a business success, reliable around the house, everyone in our family is proud of Dirk.
Jumping from Scree CliffsDirk dodges Scree on Colorado's Pilot Knob


The Anderson duo have climbed their share of interesting peaks and learned some ropes outside of our homeland; Mount Rainier, the Grand Teton, Pico de Orizaba in Mexico , and Denali in Alaska among them. But, we have had six of Colorado ’s fourteeners left to climb for nearly as many years. Some intensely athletic folks have climbed all of the fourteeners in less than two weeks. I’m not interested in that kind of torture. The mountains have come to be my main source of exercise and mental release, I must climb on...

User Profile ImageAlone on high peaks like Yankee Boy Basin's Mount Emma, I have to get creative with photo subjects. I was relaxed so this is a good way to share the feeling, Mount Sneffels looks sharp ahead.


Around the turn of the century, when Dirk couldn’t escape as much, I sought to maintain my mountain rambles. I began repeating fourteeners in order to not break the “brothers first” rule. Grand Junction locals and friends Tom Ela and Chuck Bodie finished their fourteeners and introduced me to the Martin and Garrett “Green Book” by that guides the way to climbing the highest 200 peaks of Colorado.
Tom Ela and Chuck Bodie go for Peak TOTom Ela and Chuck Bodie go for TO above Telluride.


The 166 peaks that populate Colorado ’s “other” high grounds have the unlucky distinction of being at thirteen thousand feet. There are many that are uneventful in profile, but the ascent is almost always a lung and leg buster. Sublime beauty mixes with exhaustion for a special intoxication that some like me crave. Afternoon thunderstorms in the summer and near perpetual winter darkness keep forays in the high peaks excitingly brief.

There are thrilling names on the list that make the peak bagger and photographer swoon; The Wham Ridge of Vestal, North Face of Arrow, Pigeon and Turret, Jagged Peak, Ice Mountain and the Apostles, Thunder Pyramid, Cathedral, and many more prizes to eye. Due do their isolation, lack of trails and limited visitation, the climbing effort is often greater to reach these summits.

These same difficulties make the goal more intriguing and enhanced understanding of Colorado ’s geography. Clean thin air and rare aesthetic beauty are the bonus. Due to low air pressure, climbing at altitude forces ones body to purify and streamline movements and function to the essential. One misconception I witness in climbing is that conquering a mountain is part of the equation. Having been denied as many as four times by one mountain, summiting is not about conquering anything but your own expectations, and hopefully a bit of beer gut a few weekends a year.

I am nearly a third of the way to reaching my Colorado goal. I’ve rehearsed the elevation, distance, and relative difficulty of many of the peaks I’ve yet to climb. Before anyone claims greatness on my part for merely setting high goals, let it be known that many have achieved higher and more numerous mountain goals. As I understand the Koontz couple of Grand Junction had summated Colorado ’s 200 highest peaks in the early nineties, usually with heavy leather boots. Guide book author Jennifer Roach just comleted all points in Colorado over 13,000 feet. Mike Garret and Bob Martin , authors of the “Guide to Colorado ’s highest 200 Peaks” have reportedly climbed every "independent point in Colorado over 12,000 feet, along with many high points in Arizona and the contiguous U.S.

Do I recommend this grand a goal to others? As much as I love braggin, but it’s mostly just hiking, a lot of time and money, tire and boot tread, and lately a lot of gas. On second thought, perhaps I could use some weekend carpooling and save this young fossil some fuel…So all welcome! For dinner, I’m gluten intolerant so how do rice noodles sound on the camp stove? See you at 4 A.M.?

Intermediate Tower on Pilot KnobDirk leads on to the summit of Pilot Knob, reputed to be one ot the hardest of the 200ers in my list.


To the Top!!!

Summit Ridge of Denali
On a further note of high goals, Dirk and I have a dream goal to climb the highest point each of the world’s seven continents. We are one-seventh of the way having climbed North America’s highest point, Denali ( Mount McKinley ) at 20,320’. If plans go well, we will be on South America’s high point Aconcagua at 22,840’ this February.

To date, no brothers have completed the seven summits. A pair of Russian brothers are attempting the goal as we speak. The Famenko brothers have climbed Mount Elbrus in Europe as well as Denali . American competitiveness dictates that we must Sputnik their efforts. In the immortal words of Bon Scott of ACDC; “It’s a long way to the top, if you want to rock and roll!!” Wish America some luck on the long haul!

Brothers HighBrothers Grin on Denali!


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-11 of 11
rasgoat

rasgoat - Aug 4, 2007 3:10 pm - Voted 10/10

ok

so we can't do longs..... but Vestal and Arrow sound good!

Layne Bracy

Layne Bracy - Aug 6, 2007 5:45 pm - Voted 10/10

contiguous US 13ers

Enjoyed the article - my wife has only 2 14ers left so I understand the joy of working with someone else. (Neither Garratt nor Martin have done all the contiguous US 13ers - I don't know of anyone who has completed either all the WY or CA 13ers.)

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 8, 2007 11:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: contiguous US 13ers

I fixed it. Martin has climbed everey point over 12,000 feet in Colorado, many high points in AZ.

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 13, 2007 2:32 pm - Voted 10/10

well-written

Nice article. Hope you guys are able to achieve your goals. Have been working on CO's 14ers for (over!) half my life now- when I finally complete them, it'll be sweet. HOpe to do the last one with my dad (the one who started me down the road). Colorado is a great place to pursue climbing (& hiking & skiing, ...) mountains. Perhaps you can contact the Russian brothers to make a friendly wager... :)

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 14, 2007 5:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks Diggs! I guess we are lifers

Perhaps you and I can wager...I bet your dad will be easier to schedule a last 14er with your dad than my brother. He's more into the big stuff. I however have like the 14er slow style, it gives unfinished biz to come home for if you know what I mean.

cp0915

cp0915 - Aug 16, 2007 11:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Terrific

Well-written, passionate and inspiring.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 17, 2007 6:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Terrifique!

You have flat out amazing shots on your profile.! When I have time I'll have to peruse and vote more.
Thanks so much!!!
Seth@Loki

cp0915

cp0915 - Aug 20, 2007 10:18 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Terrifique!

Thanks Seth. I appreciate your comments.

dpk

dpk - Sep 14, 2007 10:18 pm - Voted 10/10

rock & Roll man!

I'm sure you'll make it - good photos and well written; I'll be looking for updates

OWilderness

OWilderness - Dec 10, 2008 1:21 pm - Voted 10/10

great article!

Good luck on the seven summits! I'm dragging my brother off this summer to climb Mt. Shasta with me, hopefully I can whet his appetite for the mountains... It's great to have fraternal legacy in the high places!

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Feb 4, 2009 2:04 am - Hasn't voted

luck....

after getting Pulmonary Edima on Aconcagua I'm shaky on the 7 summits... and I have an 8 month old son I want to spend time with. I may shoot for some other worldy peaks and come around eventually but I feel lucky to be alive for now. I live for the view and the accomplishment of scaling neat mountains, I'm not sure how many folks feel that way about Aconcagua.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11