Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.89500°N / 115.697°W
Additional Information County: Owyhee
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 2835 ft / 864 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bruneau Dunes in southern Idaho contains the tallest single-structured dune in North America. The main dune rises about 470 feet above small lakes that are a nice contrast in this high desert region. It is a tough scramble to get to the top of the tallest dune but it is well-worth the effort. The view from the top of the surrounding Snake River Valley is awesome. The dunes are preserved as part of Bruneau Dunes State Park.

Also an attraction at the 4,800 acre state park is the Bruneau Dunes Observatory where visitors can view the clear night skies through the 25" Obsession telescope. This is largest telescope in the West that's open for the public to use. Park rangers and members of the Boise Astronomical Society offer a multimedia introduction to the stars on weekend evenings from March through November for $3 per person. The telescope is located near the visitor center which has exhibits on birds of prey, other area wildlife, fossils, and sand dunes (of course!)

Other activities at the park include fishing, bird watching, swimming, and horseback riding.

Climbing the Dunes

Bruneau Dunes - Water and SandThe tallest dune with the large lake lying at its base


From the visitor center the "5 Mile Trail" circles the park and leads to the tallest dunes. This trail is easy to follow at first but is not clearly defined or signed for the entire route. This is complicated by the constantly shifting sand covering up the trail and criss-crossing rabbit tracks that can confuse you. But most people will find that it's easy enough to see over the desert brush and see where you're going and get to the dunes. The trail skirts the lake lying at the base of the tallest dune then soon enough you are at its base. Hiking up the dunes is not an easy task as you step up and slide part way down for the entire trek. But most hikers in decent shape should be able to get to the top in 30 minutes or so. The winds at the top can be quite strong so go prepared with a wind breaker!

The diversity of the terrain as viewed from the top of the dunes is breathtaking. You can see the high desert landscape of the Snake River Valley, the buttes on the River's far edge, and snow-capped mountain peaks beyond. Gotta love that!

Geologists believe that the dunes started forming around 15,000 years ago. They are also quite unique in that they lay at the center of their basin, while most sand dunes lie at the edge.

There is a hand-drawn map of the trail available for free at the visitor center. Mountain bikes are allowed but I can't imagine the ride would be any fun as the sand is very soft.

Here is my journal entry from the day I climbed Bruneau Dunes, January 7, 1999... "Sitting on top of one of the dunes at Bruneau Dunes State Park in Idaho. Down below are flocks of honking geese on a lake. They're making a racket, and faintly in the distance I can hear several fighter jets. The lake is still frozen and it shimmers in the intense sun. All the geese are congregated around a center portion that is unfrozen. A flock or two will take off and land at intervals; as they do so the honking increases. The dunes are so sharply set against the bright blue sky, only a few clouds float overhead to soften the view. The sand is a soft tan, fine and smooth. More geese are arriving now and a jet is flying overhead."

Getting There

Bruneau Dunes State Park is located 18 miles SW of Mountain Home. From Interstate 84 take Hwy 78 west to the park. From Bruneau, ID, take Hwy 78 east to the park. Look for Bruneau Dunes Road which leads south from Hwy 78 to the park.

Red Tape

Fees: $5 per vehicle/day; separate camping and observatory fees

Motor vehicles are not allowed on the dunes

Please practice Leave No Trace ethics!

Camping

Bruneau Dunes through the trees - SilhouetteBruneau Dunes as viewed through a silhouette of a desert tree


The campgrounds at Bruneau Dunes are open all year but March through October are the popular seasons.

Broken Wheel Campground

Available Campsites: Standard Campsites and Serviced Campsites/W,E

Amenities include individual sites with or without water and electrical hook-ups, central shower and restroom facilities. Select sites offer sun and wind shelters.

Standard Campsites - $12 per night (plus Idaho State Sales Tax)

Serviced Campsite/W,E - $20 per night (plus Idaho State Sales Tax)

Group Site - $3.00 per person (plus Idaho State Sales Tax and $5 per vehicle overnight fee).

Reservation Season: You may reserve campsites in Broken Wheel Campground at Bruneau Dunes State Park from March 15th through October 15th. Camping on a "first-come, first-served" basis is available year round (weather conditions permitting).

Make a reservation online, or call (866) 634-3246.

Eagle Cove Campground

Available Campsites:Serviced Campsite/W,E - $20 per night (plus Idaho State Sales Tax)

Amenities include individual sites with water and electrical hook-ups, and central shower and restroom facilities.

Reservation Season: You may reserve campsites in Eagle Cove Campground at Bruneau Dunes State Park from March 15th through October 15th. Camping on a "first-come, first-served" basis is available year round (weather conditions permitting).

Make a reservation online, or call (866) 634-3246.

Multiple Site Reservation Considerations

For groups wishing to book multiple sites (seven (7) campsites or more) Eagle Cove Campground is available: multiple site reservations for seven (7) campsites or more must be made through the call center at (866)-634-3246.

Cabins
Bruneau Dunes and LakeBruneau Dunes and Lake

Cabin Amenities: Units sleep five and are equipped with electricity, lockable windows and doors, heat and A/C.

$45.00 per night (plus Idaho State Sales Tax)

Reservation Season: Reservations for Bruneau Dunes State Park's cabins are available year round.

Make a reservation online, or call (866) 634-3246

External Links

Bruneau Dunes State Park Website

Bruneau Dunes Weather Forecast

Mountain Home Chamber of Commerce

For more info, please contact

Bruneau Dunes State Park
27608 Sand Dunes Road
Mountain Home, ID 83647-5084

Phone: (208) 366-7919
Fax: (208) 366-2844
Visitor Center Hours: 9am-5pm, daily


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Snake River PlainMountains & Rocks