Buchanan Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Larry Derksen

Larry Derksen - Feb 17, 2015 10:40 am Date Climbed: Aug 24, 2009

reverse via alderson lake  Sucess!

went up from waterton townsite and alderson lake ,there is a little tricky loose downclimb coming back,which is actually un named at the highest pt. Buchanan is the first flat spot and has nothing tricky to get to,is 2406,I gps the other summit almost at the carthew height of 2590 shh. trr(the traverse from carthew saves extra elevation starting from cameron lake but is much trickier to downclimb from with loose rock etc. and rockbands)

Old School WB

Old School WB - Mar 16, 2012 12:13 pm Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2005

Buchanan Peak via Buchanan Ridge  Sucess!

Parked near the Rowe Lakes Parking lot, along the Akamina Parkway then up steep trees, then scree to the highpoint of Buchanan Ridge, then South East to lower summit of Buchanan Peak; returned the same route. Nice long ridge walk with Andrew Nugara.

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Aug 20, 2007 2:09 am Date Climbed: Jul 16, 2007

Carthew Traverse...  Sucess!

Very nice day with a GMS group led by Ken McDermott. Did both Carthew and Buchanan--the only downer of the day was that the smoke was terrible; too bad, because these peaks have terrific views of other Waterton mountains, and south into Glacier!

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Dec 11, 2005 11:42 am

Route Climbed: Carthew Traverse Date Climbed: July, 2003  Sucess!

Waterton Lakes National Park is just a great place to knock out some quick and easy scrambles when traveling back and forth across the border. I did three in two days in the summer of 2003. It is a quaint small park/town and this scramble is a great variation of one of the most acclaimed trails in North America (Carthew-Alderson). Cool Ptarmigans on the summit of Buchanan. It took me 8 hours to complete both of these scrambles, but it is a long day, I was moving fast and furious. Cheers!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Buchanan Peak' main page