Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.00240°N / 123.1794°W
Additional Information County: Thurston
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1650 ft / 503 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Buck Ridge is a mountain summit located within the Black Hills of Washington. Like other peaks within the Black Hills/Capitol Forest region, Buck Ridge has a low elevation (1650' elevation) and can be summited without technical difficulty.
Buck RidgeBuck Ridge

Buck Ridge is densely forested with second-growth and third-growth, so there are no outward views from the summit. However, there are some decent views of neighboring Larch Mountain, Capitol Peak, and Rock Candy Mountain from Buck Ridge Road along the mountain's east side. The ridge has three distinct highpoints, with the middle hill being the highest. One false summit (1619' elevation) is located southwest of the true summit, and the other false summit is located northeast (1548' elevation) of the true summit. Buck Ridge Road, the major access road for the mountain, passes between the northeast false summit and the true summit.
Buck Ridge SummitForested Summit Area

Although no official summit trail is currently designated, a very short overgrown trail can be traced from the nearest access road. Buck Ridge is seldom summited, and tends to be a location only avid peakbaggers might venture.
Buck RidgeFaint Overgrown Trail Leading To Summit...

Getting There

FROM THE INTERSECTION OF I-5 AND HIGHWAY 101:


1) Drive west along Highway 101.

2) After 5.5 miles, Highway 101 turns north while the road that continues west is Highway 8. Keep heading west, along Highway 8.

3) After 4.5 more miles (or ten miles after the intersection of I-5 and Highway 101), turn left onto Rock Candy Mountain Road. This is considered the "Rock Candy Entrance" for Capitol Forest, and the Rock Candy Trailhead and parking area is only a short distance up the road.

4) There is a "T" intersection after 2.5 miles along Rock Candy Mountain Road. Turn left at the intersection.

5) One block away, around a corner, is a road (B-5000) turning south (left), while the road that continues west becomes Buck Ridge Road. Continue straight along Buck Ridge Road (also known as "B-Line").

6) There is a "Y" intersection after 2.3 miles along Buck Ridge Road. Buck Ridge Road ("B-Line") is to the left and Road B-4000 is to the right. Continue left along Buck Ridge Road.

7) After 1.0 mile, turn right (west) on Road B-3500. Drive for approximately 0.25 miles to a small automobile turnout (~1500' elevation).
Buck RidgeSmall Automobile Turnout Along Road B-3500

8) Begin hiking east up the steep forested slope to the summit. An old faint overgrown trail might be traced, leading from the automobile turnout section of road to the forested summit.
Buck RidgeSteep Forested Slope...

------------

ALTERNATE VARIATION:
Park at the intersection of Buck Ridge Road and Road B-3500. Do a bushwhack hike southwest up to the forested summit.

SPECIAL NOTE:
Road B-3500 continues further south of the automobile turnout for a short distance, ending near the south false summit (1619' elevation) of the mountain.

Red Tape

Beginning during 2011, parking areas and trailheads within and for the Capitol State Forest require a Discover Pass to be in each vehicle during the visit. Failure to have a Discover Pass visible within a parked vehicle at these locations can result in a substantial fine. For more information regarding the Discover Pass, please visit the official website.

Camping

There is no camping allowed on Buck Ridge. There is an official campsite, Porter Creek Campground, located along Buck Ridge Road only several miles south of the mountain summit.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.