Buckskin BM Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Aug 20, 2018 6:16 am Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2018

Buena Vista  Sucess!

Easy nice hike from Maroon lakes, beautiful views of Snowmas and Capitol from Buckskin Pass.

climber46

climber46 - Jun 20, 2017 7:46 am Date Climbed: Jul 25, 2012

Accidentally climbed  Sucess!

I hiked with my friend Kent with the goal to reach Buckskin Pass, and got there with plenty of time to spare and then explored the areas north and ended up on this beautiful easy peak. I saw around 10 mountain goats in the meadows, and lots of wildflowers.

theREALCarpeDM

theREALCarpeDM - Jun 8, 2014 12:12 pm Date Climbed: Jun 7, 2014

Great views  Sucess!

Loop hike with Pt 13,039. Great glissading opportunities here, too.

Misa

Misa - Sep 14, 2013 11:01 am

mid day hike   Sucess!

Nice hike to Buckskin pass and then on grassy slopes up. Great views.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Sep 9, 2013 12:50 am Date Climbed: Sep 8, 2013

fun hike  Sucess!

Nice hike from the Maroon Lake to Buckskin Pass, and then easy hike to the top. Great views along the way. With Duchess and my son (my brother stayed in at the pass).
I ran Imogene Pass run (from Ouray to Telluride) the day before, so felt sore.

goofball

goofball - Aug 31, 2012 6:23 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2012

From Buckskin Pass  Sucess!

Super duper wicked cool views.

RuyDiaz - Jul 23, 2012 11:05 am Date Climbed: Jul 20, 2012

Buckskin BM via Willow Pass  Sucess!

Left Maroon Lake lot at 5:45am. Reached the Buckskin Pass/Willow Pass fork in 1.5 hours. Hiked to Willow Pass and from there west up the ridge toward Buckskin BM. This is the best part of the hike and brings you to the ridge that runs N/S up to Buckskin BM. The section from Willow Pass up to the N/S ridge is an easy scramble; there's some loose rock but the route is clear and it looks worse than it is. I was happy to be ascending rather than descending this section, however. Once on the N/S ridge, it's an easy walk up to the summit. It took 3 hours from Maroon Lake to the summit. Views are great. From the summit, I walked south to Buckskin Pass over tundra and out on the trail.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Oct 9, 2011 8:07 pm Date Climbed: Oct 9, 2011

Fall Snow  Sucess!

Solo climb of Buckskin BM and PT 13039 via Buckskin Pass/Maroon Lake. Snowy fall conditions up high, but that just added to the ambiance for the photos!

EndlessPat

EndlessPat - Oct 2, 2011 10:47 pm Date Climbed: Oct 2, 2011

Not Quite

We got about half way up the gulch, but had spent so much time taking pictures of the Bells that weather was rolling in. Crazy beautiful and a good way to get away from the crowds.

displacedchzhead

displacedchzhead - Oct 1, 2011 3:33 am Date Climbed: Sep 28, 2011

A perfect day in the Elks  Sucess!

Took my sunrise pictures at Maroon Lake of the Bells showing off their fluorescent yellow aspens, then headed up towards Willow Pass. Minnehaha Gulch is beautiful! Decided to summit from the top of Willow Pass, which is doable but the rock is loose; won't take that path again. Took the standard route back down. The view from the summit W towards Snowmass Lake and Mountain will make you drool. The other views aint bad either. Would love to come back here again in summer when the flowers are in bloom.
(Climbed again w. friends 7-13-2012, sweet!)

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Sep 7, 2010 4:46 pm Date Climbed: Sep 6, 2010

Sunrise  Sucess!

Watched sunrise from the summit... brrrrr. Efforts to summit early in order to avoid I-70 traffic on the way home were unsuccessful :(

BLong

BLong - Sep 19, 2009 2:11 am Date Climbed: Sep 15, 2009

Great Hike  Sucess!

I intended to combine this peak with several other 13ers around Willow Basin during an overnight trip. Conditions were perfect the first day, so I took the opportunity to climb Buckskin. Unfortunately, that night it stormed hard and the snow made it difficult to climb anything the next day. I uploaded several new photos to the Buckskin album. Hope you enjoy!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Aug 18, 2009 11:02 pm Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2009

Sensory Overload!  Sucess!

This was the most beautiful hike I have ever been on! From start to finish, the scenery was just amazing!

We attempted to summit via the saddle from the Willow Lake Trail but it was blocked by snow, even this late into August. We hiked down to the Buckskin Pass/Willow Pass junction and summitted via Buckskin Pass - and went up the easy tundra slog from that pass. I had the summit all to myself - even on a Sunday!

shknbke

shknbke - Jul 21, 2009 7:03 pm Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2009

South ridge from 13039  Sucess!

This is a cool, overlooked 13er with both a rugged and docile personality. Sweet views to be had on this one. Check out UN 13039 to the south.

altitude14er

altitude14er - Jul 15, 2009 11:42 pm Date Climbed: Jul 11, 2009

Route Climbed: 'South Ridge' / Buckskin Pass  Sucess!

Me and my dear friend Jeff backpacked to the N.Maroon Peak trail junction..arriving at midnight..slept 6 hours and hiked up to the summit. It's often more magnificent (to me) to be in the presence of the 14ers vs. being on them, just my opinion! 13ers have a lot to offer the climber!

Hobbesgirl

Hobbesgirl - Oct 21, 2005 1:32 pm

Route Climbed: South Ridge Date Climbed: October 1, 2005  Sucess!

Great view on top!

Gareth

Gareth - Oct 4, 2005 1:13 pm

Route Climbed: South Ridge Date Climbed: October 1, 2005  Sucess!

What an enjoyable day! A hike up into the Maroon Bells-Snowmass wilderness with perfect weather and autumn foliage! Once we left the photographers down at the lakes, we didn’t see anyone for the rest of the morning except a group of climbers going up Point 12,942. The views from the top were great, Snowmass, Capitol, Pyramid, and of course the Bells. On the way down we started to see more and more people. From Crater Lake on down the trail was full of tourists. If we hadn’t had to be back down in Aspen by a certain time, we would have taken the loop route back to the trailhead.

kjkrow

kjkrow - Feb 16, 2005 12:03 am

Route Climbed: From Buckskin Pass Date Climbed: July 2001  Sucess!

As one of my first larger summits, this climb helped me fall in love with the mountains. The climb from the pass is a walk up the tundra with amazing views of 6 surrounding 14ers and countless other peaks.



Though a hike, it's a farily long and parts are fairly steep. Like Kane, I would love to return to Buckskin for the views, and try his route the next time I return.



I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in the Maroon-Snowmass Wilderness as a non-technical ascent.

Kane

Kane - Oct 14, 2004 6:56 pm

Route Climbed: Aug-20? 2004 Date Climbed: South Ridge  Sucess!

If you want views, this mountain may be the best one around the Maroon Lake area. Such an easy hike for such a fantastic reward. Loved this mountain and will return someday.

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Return to 'Buckskin BM' main page