Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Mar 28, 2012 12:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very interesting.

Thanks for the kind comments, wasn't sure it was Summitpost appropriate, but seriously...the mounds are as goood as it gets in the St. Louis area.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 29, 2012 3:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Hills

Hmm, I grew up in central IL but lived in St. Louis for a while and I remember West County St. Louis as being really hilly compared to the IL cornfields. You forgot to mention how ungodly humid it is in summer there though. I definitely don't miss that! Nice article. Nice to see something about IL on summitpost, even if they are manmade. :-)

Brian

Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Mar 30, 2012 9:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hills

Thanks for the comment! Looking at it, you are probably right about the Hills. I was stuck there on business from Utah and so my perspective on relative heights was kind of skewed.

Will add in about the weather...It IS a great spot to sweat while standing in place!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 30, 2012 11:29 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Hills

Sorry, I didn't mean to change your article. Was just joking. You are right about the perspective. What I consider a hill now out here in Oregon would be the Illinois high point. :-)

Brian

Klenke

Klenke - Apr 2, 2012 11:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Sledding

I used to sled down Monk's Mound as a kid...in the 1970s. Do they even allow that anymore?

Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Apr 3, 2012 10:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sledding

Not sure...The area DOES look like it would be a fun Cross Country Ski area (given a nice ice storm prior!)

Klenke

Klenke - Apr 3, 2012 10:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sledding

A guy in this thread implies it is illegal:
http://www.insidestl.com/vbulletin//archive/index.php?t-11041.html

Hmmm, okay: sign says no sledding. There is of course the irony of the sign being right next to the manmade (modern manmade) stairway. They talk about restoring the place but keep the stairs. I guess if they took them out people would just walk any which way up the hill and make many dirt trails, trails that could erode this thing. So the stairs are a small price to pay...for people to get a view.

When I was sledding it in the 70s, I wasn't doing it clandestinely. There were usually dozens of families there.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Cahokia Mounds (Great Plains)' main page